As one of the area’s largest nonprofits, NAM connects individuals with basic needs such as food; clothing; hygiene products; and rent, mortgage, and utility bill assistance, among others. The organization is one of the largest Meals on Wheels providers in Harris County, serving 24 ZIP codes, and offers additional resources including a family violence center, senior center and pediatric health center.
"Northwest Assistance Ministries could not fulfill its mission without volunteers. it's as simple as that. They impact every program in every way," NAM Communications Specialist Shannel Vance said in an email June 16. "With every hour of service and every conversation, they make an impact. But most often, they find that volunteering impacts their own lives as well."
In addition to NAM's daily volunteer opportunities, which include serving in the NAM Resale Store, The Joanne Watford Nutrition Center and with Meals on Wheels, volunteers are also needed for the following upcoming events:
Food Fair at the Joanne Watford Nutrition Center
- July 17 from 8:30 a.m.-noon: Volunteers are needed to unload a Houston Food Bank truck, pack grocery bags and prepare food pantry areas.
- July 18 from 8 a.m.-noon: Volunteers are needed to take food to cars.
Phone bank with centralized intake
- July 18 and July 25 from 9 a.m.-4 p.m.: Volunteers are needed to handle interviews and phone calls to clients.
Houston Food Bank distribution
- Aug. 11 and 25: Volunteers are needed for food distribution at Spring Stadium; volunteer shift times are TBD.
Food distribution with housing
- Aug. 21: Volunteers needed to prepare food baskets; volunteer shift times are TBD.
- Aug. 22: Volunteers needed to distribute baskets to clients; volunteer shift times are TBD.
Due to the ongoing coronavirus pandemic, all NAM volunteers, clients and staff are required to wear face masks and practice social distancing. Additionally, NAM is providing disposable gloves to volunteers who serve in the NAM Resale Store and the Joanne Watford Nutrition Center.
To download a NAM volunteer form, click here. For more information about volunteer opportunities with NAM, email email@example.com.