For those actively searching for a job, here is a noncomprehensive list of companies currently offering full-time, part-time and seasonal opportunities in the Greater Houston area as of April 14. Additionally, prospective applicants can visit www.workintexas.com to view more than 488,000 job openings available statewide.
- Albertsons Cos., which owns Randall’s, had 23 open jobs listed in Houston as of April 14, with positions ranging from cake decorator and floral designer to store director and in-store shopper. For more information, click here.
- District 249 Bar & Grill posted via Facebook April 23 that it is now hiring kitchen staff, cooks, food runners, bussers, cocktail waitresses and bartenders, for its anticipating reopening. Weekend availability is required and applications can be submitted online. For more information, click here.
- To become a dasher for food delivery service DoorDash, click here.
- To become a runner with food delivery service Favor, click here.
- H-E-B has a variety of hourly opportunities and short-term hourly opportunities listed on its website at H-E-B, MWT and Joe V’s Smart Shop locations in the Greater Houston area. For more information, click here.
- The Houston Police Department is now accepting applications for both entry-level and lateral police officer positions. Base pay for a cadet/probationary officer is $42,000, while base pay for a police officer ranges from $58,785-$78,847. Base pay for a senior police officer ranges from $85,407-$92,515. According to HPD’s website, cadet classes take place every two to three months with the next cadet classes planned for April, June, August and November. The application process takes roughly 90-180 days. For more information, click here.
- In a March 23 statement, Instacart founder and CEO Apoorva Mehta announced plans to hire an additional 300,000 full-service shoppers across North America over the next three months to meet increased demands in the U.S. and Canada. To become an Instacart shopper, click here.
- As of April 14, Kroger has 7,483 open job positions listed, with 241 of those listings located in Houston. Positions available include retail clerks, pharmacy technicians, e-commerce clerks and overnight grocery clerks, among others. For more information, click here.
- As of April 14, the Metropolitan Transit Authority of Harris County has 79 open job positions listed in departments including transportation, human resources, public safety, operations and information technology. Due to the coronavirus pandemic, METRO has temporarily suspended in-person interviews; however, the entity is continuing to review and consider qualified applicants for open positions in the interim. For more information call 713-739-4953 or click here.
- Negeb & Associates insurance agency/Lincoln Heritage Life insurance Company is currently hiring full- and part-time employees in the Greater Houston area. For more information, click here.
- Scapes Environmental Design, Inc., a veteran-owned business based in Porter, Texas, is currently hiring sales positions, managers and field staff. For more information, click here.
- The Texas Department of Criminal Justice is hiring for a variety of positions located in Huntsville, Atascocita and Livingston, among others. Applicants must submit the state of Texas Application for Employment and the applicant for outside applicants (PERS 282) or current TDCJ employees (PERS 598) to the contact person listed on the job posting. For more information, click here.
- To sign up as a driver for food delivery service Uber Eats, click here.
- The United Parcel Service is currently hiring part-time and seasonal employees in Houston and Conroe, including positions as warehouse workers and package handlers. The application process begins online. For more information, click here.
- As the second-largest employer in the U.S.—just behind Walmart—the United States Postal Service has more than 600,000 employees across 31,000 post offices and 200,000 USPS vehicles. On a weekly basis, USPS hires 1,000 new employees with an average starting pay of $21 per hour plus benefits with no experience necessary. In Houston, USPS is hiring automotive mechanics and technicians with an annual salary of $43,780-$59,533 plus benefits. The job application process includes an online application followed by an assessment and interview. For more information, call 800-282-4588 or click here.
- As of April 14, Walmart has 69 full-time job positions listed at local Walmart and Sam’s Club storefronts in Houston. Positions available range from optician and stocker to cart attendant and cashier. For more information, click here.
- Wildcat is hiring at least 100 assembly line techs to manufacture and ship personal protective equipment, or PPE. Interview will be conducted on April 24 from 10 a.m.-noon at 204 S. Live Oak Street, Tomball. Candidates are asked to wear a face covering and gloves to the interview, and to respect social distancing guidelines. For more information, click here.
Editor's note: Do you know of a company that is currently hiring in the Greater Houston area? Let us know by emailing [email protected].