University of Houston-Clear Lake to host food distribution event Sept. 25

Qatar Charity along with the University of Houston-Clear Lake Diplomacy Institute will host a food distribution event. (Courtesy Adobe Stock)

Qatar Charity along with the University of Houston-Clear Lake Diplomacy Institute on Sept. 25 will host a food distribution event in two different drive-thru locations.

The two locations will be at the UHCL campus’s Parking Lot G located at 2700 Bay Area Blvd., Houston, and the other food distribution location will be at the Pearland Recreation Center and Natatorium located at 4141 Bailey Road, Pearland.

The distribution events will be from 10 a.m.-2 p.m. until supplies last, according to a news release. 281-283-2750. www.uhcl.edu/food-distribution
By Andy Yanez

Reporter, Pearland/Friendswood

Andy joined Community Impact Newspaper as a reporter in June 2021 after graduating with a degree in journalism from the University of Houston. He started off as the South Houston Metro Reporter where he helped each different edition in the South Houston market before transitioning to the Pearland/Friendswood market in August 2021. Andy covers education, local government, transportation, business, real estate development and nonprofits in these communities. Prior to CI, Andy served as the sports editor of The Cougar, UH's student newspaper, where he covered the university's athletics beat for two years and got to cover the 2021 NCAA Men's Basketball Final Four in Indianapolis.

ExxonMobil has held office space at Hughes Landing in The Woodlands. (Courtesy The Howard Hughes Corp.)
CI NATION ROUNDUP: ExxonMobil to bring Hughes Landing employees back to Spring location; Dave's Hot Chicken to open in Plano and more top stories

Take a look at the top five trending stories across all of Community Impact Newspaper’s coverage areas as of Oct. 27.

Harris County District Attorney Kim Ogg outlines the current domestic violence situation in the county during an Oct. 27 web panel. (Community Impact Newspaper via Harris County District Attorney's Office)
Harris County District Attorney's Office outlines plan to combat domestic violence

To date, 10,888 domestic violence assault cases have been filed so far in 2021.

Harris County residents with certain disabilities will now have better access to potentially life-saving information, thanks to a new accessible alert system launched by The Harris County Office of Homeland Security and Emergency Management Oct. 26. (Screenshot via Facebook Live)
Ready Harris rolls out new accessible alert system

Known as the Ready Harris Accessible Alert System, the new program will provide accessible alerts, warnings and preparedness information to individuals who are deaf, blind, hard of hearing, deaf-blind or low vision.

Virtual learning for K-6 students will continue to be offered at CCISD, as this is independent of the temporary remote conferencing option. (Courtesy Adobe Stock)
Clear Creek ISD to pause remote conferencing as COVID-19 cases decline and other updates

Remote conferencing, which has been available to students since late August, will be offered through Oct. 29, district leaders said Oct. 25. It is offered via the Texas Education Agency and meant for those who may need to receive instruction from home for durations of up to 20 days.

Windsor Fashions LLC on Oct. 15 opened its doors inside Baybrook Mall. (Courtesy Windsor Fashions)
National retail store Windsor Fashions LLC opens at Baybrook Mall

Windsor Fashions LLC opened Oct. 15 inside Baybrook Mall at 500 Baybrook Mall, Ste. 1314, Friendswood, in the Forever 21 wing next to Charlotte Russe.

From left, Precinct 2 Commissioner Adrian Garcia, Wayne Young, CEO of The Harris Center for Mental Health and IDD, and Precinct 1 Commissioner Rodney Ellis announced a new community-initiated mental health care project during a press conference Oct. 26. (Screenshot via Facebook Live)
Harris County officials unveil new three-year $8.93M community-initiated mental health care initiative

The community care model will focus on 10 ZIP codes totaling about 300,000 residents that have been disproportionately affected by COVID-19 and suicide, and that have a lower utilization of behavioral health care services, by providing mental health education and training to members of the community.

Harris County Deputy Kareem Atkins was honored by Harris County commissioners on Oct. 26. (Emily Lincke/Community Impact Newspaper)
Harris County commissioners designate Oct. 25 as 'Deputy Kareem Atkins Day'

“Deputy Kareem Atkins Day” will be celebrated annually to recognize Atkins' heroism and service, Judge Lina Hidalgo said at the court’s Oct. 26 regular meeting. According to Hidalgo, Atkins was the first Harris County Precinct 4 Constable's Office deputy to be fatally shot.

"The Dude" is the signature burger at Lebowski's Grill. (Olivia Aldridge/Community Impact Newspaper)
CI NATION ROUNDUP: Lebowski's Grill upends expectations in Austin; first Houston-area Costco Business Center opens in Stafford and more top news

Take a look at the top five trending stories across all of Community Impact Newspaper’s coverage areas as of Oct. 26.

Houston-based PBK Architects presented the updated design plans for Cline Elementary School and Friendswood High School to the Friendswood ISD board of trustees. (Sierra Rozen/Community Impact Newspaper)
Friendswood ISD proceeds with design plans for new Cline Elementary, Friendswood High School renovations

Construction of the new Cline Elementary School, located on the West Ranch site, has been budgeted $44.6 million and will replace the old Cline Elementary School. Meanwhile, the renovations and additions to Friendswood High School have been budgeted for $53.4 million, according to board documents. 

New statewide maps will go into effect Jan. 18, 2022. (Community Impact Newspaper Staff)
Gov. Abbott approves new voting maps for state legislature, Congress, school districts for next decade

The maps will go into effect Jan. 18, 2022, after the state legislature passed them during a 30-day special session.

The statewide job fair will connect veterans to employers as well as other resource providers. (Sandra Sadek/Community Impact Newspaper)
Statewide job fair aims to connect Texas veterans and their families to employers

The job fair is coming to local Texas Workforce Solutions offices, some of which are having early admission for veterans and their families.