However, Skanska US Commercial Development, which purchased the land in 2020 for $27 million, formed a partnership with Houston-based Curb Coalition in August to bring local vendors and entertainment to the block in the meantime.
In addition to farmers market items—including produce, jams, nuts and salsas—Curb Coalition vendors also offer artisan products ranging from canvas paintings, handmade jewelry, home goods, vintage clothing and curated boutique items.
"Skanska is thrilled to welcome this local organization onto the site to host engaging community programming while the team finalizes their development plans for the upcoming project," Skanska officials said in a statement.
Curb Coalition, which also runs a market in the Lower Heights, has already hosted several events at the site, and officials shared plans for September and October with Community Impact Newspaper.
Weekly events throughout September and October will include:
- Friday nights (starting Sept. 10): A DJ JAM party takes place along with a night market with genre themes that vary from week to week. The theme Sept. 10 will be '80s music. The events run from 6-10 p.m.
- Saturday nights (starting Sept. 11): The "Montrose Live" music series will bring local bands to the site along with a night market. The events run from 6-10 p.m.
- Sundays (starting Sept. 12): Farmers markets will take place from 10 a.m.-3 p.m.
Several monthly events will take place from 6-10 p.m. on certain days in September and October, including:
- Second Thursdays: An event dubbed "Wanderlust Night" allows attendees to discover international foods, textiles, artisan products and experiences representing countries from around the world.
- Third Thursdays: A fashion night highlights fashion, clothing and jewelry vendors.
- Fourth Thursdays: An art night features local art vendors.
Skanska has previously announced plans to develop a mixed-use project at the site, which could consist of multifamily, retail and an office tower, but additional details have not been released. A spokesperson for Skanska said there were no updates on long-term plans as of late August.
Interested vendors, musicians, artists, live performers, community partners and sponsors can contact Curb Coalition organizers at [email protected].