"Museums are essential to our culture and we are committed to continuing to serve our mission of providing a world class museum experience for the Houston community. The Museum will continue to expand digital engagement opportunities for those who may not yet feel comfortable returning," museum President and CEO Joel A. Bartsch wrote in the announcement.
Among the measures being implemented:
- a 25% capacity limit;
- providing face masks and gloves for all staff who engage with the public, and requiring guests to wear masks;
- spacing workstations to allow for social distancing and allowing remote work;
- encouraging online ticket purchases to allow “touch-free” or “low-touch” entry to the museum;
- installing more hand-sanitizing stations and instituting heightened cleaning protocols; and
- checking the temperatures for all employees entering the building.
The Burke Baker Planetarium, Wortham Giant Screen Theatre, satellite locations in Sugar Land and the George Observatory in Fort Bend remain closed.