On April 5, the Dallas County Elections Department had requested commissioners close 68 voting centers for two upcoming elections: a constitutional amendment and joint election on May 7, and the primary runoff election on May 24, citing a shortage of poll workers.
Elections Administrator Michael Scarpello was instead asked to hold additional public meetings with affected members of the community, after which the proposed number of temporary closures was whittled down to 53.
The 53 figure was shrunk again to 40 during the April 13 meeting after Commissioner John Price requested that no voting center in District 3 be closed.
Of the 40 temporarily closed voting centers, seven are in the Lake Highlands and Lakewood areas of Dallas and one is in Richardson. Those locations in Community Impact Newspaper's coverage area can be found below:
- Skyview Elementary School, 9229 Meadowknoll Drive, Dallas
- Lake Highlands High School, 9449 Church Road, Dallas
- Lake Highlands Junior High, 10301 Walnut Hill Lane, Dallas
- Wallace Elementary School, 9921 Kirkhaven Drive, Dallas
- Spring Valley Elementary School, 13535 Spring Grove Ave., Dallas
- Richardson North Junior High School, 1820 N. Floyd Road, Richardson
- Dan D. Rogers Elementary School, 5314 Abrams Road, Dallas
- St Andrew's Presbyterian Church, 3204 Skillman St., Dallas
Editor's note: This story has been updated to correct errors on addresses. Skyview Elementary School, Lake Highlands High School, Lake Highlands Junior High, Wallace Elementary School and Spring Valley Elementary School are in Dallas.