Carverdale—the Cy-Fair ISD school that once served as a school for African-American students before desegregation—started out as a one-room Tanner Road farmhouse donated in 1925 by a German dairy farmer.
The site initially served as both the Greater Macedonia Baptist Church and the first school for students living in the Carverdale community.
Fairbanks Colored School was moved to Dancy Road the following year in 1926, where it served 19 students in first through sixth grades. Lacy Houston and Melissa Depot taught in the school’s first and second years, respectively. Clara Scott would serve as the sole teacher from 1928-1951.
E.S. Waddy became the school’s first principal in 1951, the same year the school’s name changed to Fairbanks Elementary School. Four years later, the school expanded to offer a library, band hall, choir room, and 11 teachers.








