The closure of the 50,000-square-foot building at 50 E. Civic Center Drive means some town departments and meetings will move for the year.
The meeting changes include:
- Gilbert Town Council will meet at the Public Safety Training Facility, 6860 S. Power Road, Gilbert, in the Atlas Auditorium.
- The Gilbert Planning Commission and Gilbert Redevelopment Commission will meet at the Gilbert Police Department amphitheater, 75 E. Civic Center Drive.
Department moves include:
- To Municipal Building II, 90 E. Civic Center Drive, Gilbert: Gilbert Clerk’s Office, mayor and council member offices, IT tech hub, payroll, Pacific Office Automation for mail and deliveries.
- To Gilbert Fire and Rescue Department Administration, 85 E. Civic Center Drive, Gilbert: Gilbert Goodies Store pickup, human resources, town administration, purchasing, Request for Proposal submissions.
- To Gilbert Municipal Court, 55 E. Civic Center Drive, Gilbert: Legal team.
The building, which opened in 1992, closed June 21 with construction expected to start in late July.
Construction will include replacing the exterior glass, HVAC systems, roofing, flooring, fixtures, and furniture as well as enclosing the second-story balcony on the north side of the building to gain more floor space, according to the town.
The renovations and move of some IT functions will add about 1,700 square feet to the building and accommodate approximately 50 additional workstations for future space needs.
The $15.38 million project will be paid for from town funds.