The district put together its budget for the school year with a projection of losing about 400 students counted in “average daily membership,” Business Services Assistant Superintendent Bonnie Betz told the district’s governing board Nov. 19.
In fact, Betz said ADM will increase about 30 to 50 students. The difference will mean about $1.5 million in additional revenue from the state, Betz said.
Average daily membership, as defined in state law, "means the total enrollment of fractional students and full-time students, minus withdrawals, of each school day through the first one hundred days or two hundred days in session, as applicable, for the current year.”
Betz said the revised budget likely will be presented to the board in January.
- The district will receive nearly $1.7 million from the state to be distributed among 12 schools for results-based performance pay. With the board’s approval, the district will pay about 90 percent of it in pay stipends and use the other 10 percent in professional development programs.
- The board approved a new salary schedule that addresses the state minimum wage increase to $12 an hour starting Jan. 1. Substitute teacher pay also increased to $100 a day to be competitive with surrounding districts. The budget already reflected the changes. Salary compression from the minimum wage increase will be addressed in the coming fiscal year, district officials said.
- The board approved on a 5-0 vote course description books for the high schools, junior highs, Gilbert Classical Academy and Global Academy. The books also reflect a change in how valedictorians and salutatorians will be selected starting with the class of 2024. At that point, schools will recognize the top 1% by grade point average in the class rankings. From there, a selection process will be used to choose a graduation speaker.