The classes run from 6-9 p.m. each Wednesday, and a class member must complete all the classes to be certified. The classes are held at the Gilbert Fire & Rescue Amphitheater, 85 E. Civic Center Drive, Gilbert.
Teams are a part of community preparedness and response capability. CERT programs have been used for:
- distribute and/or install smoke alarms and batteries to the elderly and disabled;
- assist with evacuations and traffic control;
- promote community awareness of potential hazards and preparedness measures;
- supplement staffing at special events, such as parades; and
- act as victims in training exercises.
The classes cover:
- Jan. 30: disaster preparedness and terrorism
- Feb. 6: fire safety
- Feb. 13: medical operations I
- Feb. 20: medical operations II
- Feb. 27: search and rescue
- March 6: disaster psychology
- March 13: skills development
For more information, call 480-503-6300 or visit www.gilbertaz.gov/volunteer-fire.