Third potential candidate joins field for Gilbert mayoral election

Gilbert Town Hall
Three people have filed to be at the head of Gilbert government as the town's mayor: Gary Livacari, Sandra Reynolds and incumbent Jenn Daniels. (Tom Blodgett/Community Impact Newspaper

A third potential candidate has emerged for Gilbert’s mayoral position.

Commercial banker Gary Livacari, 34, filed a Statement of Interest just before the deadline Jan. 2 and is initiating efforts to collect signatures for his nominating position.

Livacari, who said he has lived in Gilbert for six years, joins Sandra Reynolds as challengers to incumbent Jenn Daniels, who is running for re-election.

Livacari said his concerns about the town’s spending are what led him to run for mayor.

“I originally came to Arizona from the Chicagoland area, so I've seen firsthand what happens when a local government starts to spend too much,” Livacari said. “It usually leads to crowding out of essential services or higher taxation. My family and I came here to escape some of that, and we've been troubled to see that.

“Gilbert has been a great place, but it seems to be on the path forward a different future if somebody doesn't step up now and ask tough questions and challenge the status quo.”

Livacari said he would like to see the mayor and Town Council challenge staff more and function more as advocates for the taxpayer.

Livacari has served on the town's Industrial Development Authority. That public corporation recommends to council projects the town should endorse for tax-exempt, low-interest bond financing made available by federal law for certain eligible construction projects

Reynolds said she is running to make sure residents still have a voice in what happens in town, something she became concerned was no longer happening after recent council decisions regarding the Heritage District.

Daniels served on Town Council from 2009-16 and was appointed mayor by the council after the resignation of former Mayor John Lewis in July 2016, who was taking the position of president and CEO of non-profit regional coalition East Valley Partnership. Daniels was elected to a full term as mayor that August.

The candidates have until 5 p.m. April 6 to file nominating petitions with enough valid signatures to qualify for the ballot. The primary election is scheduled for Aug. 4. If a runoff were required, it would happen at the general election Nov. 3.
By Tom Blodgett
Raised in Arizona, Tom Blodgett has spent 30 years in journalism in Arizona and is the editor of the Gilbert edition of Community Impact Newspaper. He is a graduate of Arizona State University, where he now serves as an instructional professional in the Walter Cronkite School of Journalism and Mass Communication and editorial adviser to The State Press, the university's independent student media outlet.

Mayor Jenn Daniels, shown here addressing the audience at the 2020 Digital State of the Town, has issued a new emergency declaration for Gilbert. (Tom Blodgett/Community Impact Newspaper)
Back-to-school scenarios, road closures: News from Gilbert, Chandler

Read some of Community Impact Newspaper’s latest coverage of Gilbert and Chandler.

Bradley Rogers, A/C Rangers Heating and Cooling
Home contractors still finding business through pandemic

A large percentage of businesses have been hit hard by the coronavirus pandemic, and while some home contractor and service businesses in Gilbert have followed that trend, others are seeing an uptick in need

Here are the coronavirus updates to know today in Gilbert. (Community Impact staff)
COVID-19: Gilbert sees 8 new cases May 29, Maricopa County sees 218 new cases and 15 deaths

Across Gilbert's six ZIP codes, there were 295 confirmed positive cases of COVID-19 on May 29, according to data from the state

Gov. Doug Ducey spoke May 28 to provide a coronavirus update. (Community Impact staff)
Governor says school will resume as planned for the next school year, releases guidance for summer schools, youth sports

Gov. Doug Ducey said Arizona schools may plan to reopen as planned for the upcoming 2020-21 academic year at a press conference May 28

(Source: Town of Gilbert/Community Impact Newspaper)
Town encouraged by first COVID-19 revenue look, but April, May results will define budget

Gilbert’s revenue in March, when the effects of the coronavirus pandemic first hit, along with the town’s experience navigating the Great Recession, have left the town optimistic about making it through the fiscal year relatively unscathed

Gov. Doug Ducey announced relief aid to municipalities including Gilbert and Chandler at a May 27 press conference. (Community Impact staff)
Gilbert, Chandler to get relief funds and more: News from the Phoenix area

Read the latest Gilbert and Chandler news from Community Impact Newspaper's website.

Gilbert, Chandler to receive more than $29 million each in relief funds from state

Gilbert and Chandler will be among the local governments receiving coronavirus relief and recovery dollars as part of a plan unveiled May 27 by Gov. Doug Ducey

Rebecca Sunenshine
Summer campers, staff should be screened daily, Maricopa County says

Campers and staff at summer camps should be screened daily if such camps are to be opened safely this summer, the county’s top disease control official said.

HD South
HD South set to reopen June 2

HD South, Gilbert’s arts, culture and history museum, will reopen June 2 with new restrictions in place

Gilbert Public Schools
Gilbert Public Schools preparing three back-to-school scenarios

A Gilbert Public Schools task force is preparing three back-to-school scenarios for the 2020-21 school year with a preference for in-person learning, officials told the governing board May 26.

Gilbert Feeding Families
Gilbert Feeding Families food drive brings in enough to supply 250,000 meals

The townwide food drive May 15-17 collected enough food and cash to supply a quarter-million meals to people in need, according to town officials

Dr. Cara Christ, director of the Arizona Department of Health Services provided an update May 26 on the capacity of the state health care system. (Community Impact staff)
Latest COVID-19 model shows Arizona can meet a health care surge

Arizona's current resources, including inpatient beds, intensive care unit beds and ventilators, are sufficient to meet a health care surge due to COVID-19, according to a recent predictive model.