Third potential candidate joins field for Gilbert mayoral election

Gilbert Town Hall
Three people have filed to be at the head of Gilbert government as the town's mayor: Gary Livacari, Sandra Reynolds and incumbent Jenn Daniels. (Tom Blodgett/Community Impact Newspaper

A third potential candidate has emerged for Gilbert’s mayoral position.

Commercial banker Gary Livacari, 34, filed a Statement of Interest just before the deadline Jan. 2 and is initiating efforts to collect signatures for his nominating position.

Livacari, who said he has lived in Gilbert for six years, joins Sandra Reynolds as challengers to incumbent Jenn Daniels, who is running for re-election.

Livacari said his concerns about the town’s spending are what led him to run for mayor.

“I originally came to Arizona from the Chicagoland area, so I've seen firsthand what happens when a local government starts to spend too much,” Livacari said. “It usually leads to crowding out of essential services or higher taxation. My family and I came here to escape some of that, and we've been troubled to see that.

“Gilbert has been a great place, but it seems to be on the path forward a different future if somebody doesn't step up now and ask tough questions and challenge the status quo.”

Livacari said he would like to see the mayor and Town Council challenge staff more and function more as advocates for the taxpayer.

Livacari has served on the town's Industrial Development Authority. That public corporation recommends to council projects the town should endorse for tax-exempt, low-interest bond financing made available by federal law for certain eligible construction projects

Reynolds said she is running to make sure residents still have a voice in what happens in town, something she became concerned was no longer happening after recent council decisions regarding the Heritage District.

Daniels served on Town Council from 2009-16 and was appointed mayor by the council after the resignation of former Mayor John Lewis in July 2016, who was taking the position of president and CEO of non-profit regional coalition East Valley Partnership. Daniels was elected to a full term as mayor that August.

The candidates have until 5 p.m. April 6 to file nominating petitions with enough valid signatures to qualify for the ballot. The primary election is scheduled for Aug. 4. If a runoff were required, it would happen at the general election Nov. 3.
By Tom Blodgett
Raised in Arizona, Tom Blodgett has spent 30 years in journalism in Arizona and is the editor of the Gilbert edition of Community Impact Newspaper. He is a graduate of Arizona State University, where he now serves as an instructional professional in the Walter Cronkite School of Journalism and Mass Communication and editorial adviser to The State Press, the university's independent student media outlet.

HD South
Kayla Kolar leaving Gilbert's HD South museum for House of Refuge

Kayla Kolar, who has been president and CEO of HD South for 15 and a half years, is moving on from being the only director Gilbert’s arts, culture and history museum has known.

ile.gal Modern Cocktail Kitchen
Gilbert's ile.gal Modern Cocktail Kitchen prepares to open after COVID-19 delay

The rooftop bar in the Heritage District originally planned to open in April but postponed because of the coronavirus pandemic.

Four business changes to know in Gilbert

Here are four business changes to know in Gilbert.

Higley USD governing board election winners, Michelle Anderson, Kristina Reese, Tiffany Shultz
Kristina Reese re-elected to Higley USD board; Michelle Anderson, Tiffany Shultz also joining

The Higley USD governing board vice president is officially returning to the board, and two new members will join her in 2021.

The county has adjusted the COVID-19 risk levels for local school districts. (Courtesy Adobe Stock)
Maricopa County updates COVID-19 school dashboard; Chandler, Gilbert, Higley all considered 'substantial risk'

The county has adjusted the COVID-19 risk levels for local school districts.

Gilbert utilities
Help available to residents as Gilbert turns toward normal utility operations

Residents need to be prepared to catch up on their accounts or face the possibility of disconnection

Here is what you need to know today about coronavirus in Gilbert. (Community Impact Newspaper)
COVID-19: Cases in Gilbert have risen more than 16% in seven days

Here are the COVID-19 data updates to know today.

Gilbert Regional Park sand volleyball courts
Gilbert weekend events: Live theater, Grand Slam volleyball

Here are a couple things Gilbert residents can do this weekend.

The Chandler USD governing board met Nov. 18 to discuss virtual learning and COVID-19. (Alexa D'Angelo/Community Impact Newspaper)
Chandler USD responds to rising COVID-19 cases and more top local news

Read the most popular stories from Chandler and Gilbert from the past week.

Gilbert Regional Park
Town planning for future phases at Gilbert Regional Park

With the opening of Phase 1B of Gilbert Regional Park in October, the town has now spent more than $32.6 million since September 2018 to offer more amenities at the park and tap its potential for residents and tourists, officials said.

More than 1,800 students have had to quarantine after coming in contact with a COVID-19-positive person in Chandler USD. (Courtesy Adobe Stock)
'We really need parents' help': Chandler USD grapples with how to handle statewide COVID-19 surge

Chandler USD discussed how to handle the increasing number of COVID-19 cases across the district and throughout the state and county at a meeting Nov. 18.