Off the Street Festival, park opening highlight coming days in Gilbert

Off the Street Festival, Gilbert Arizona,
Gilbert's 2019 Off the Street Festival runs Nov. 1-2 in the Heritage District.

The weather has turned nice, and there's plenty to do about town in the coming week in Gilbert.

Nov. 1-2

Attend Off the Street Festival

Attendees of the town’s fourth annual event will find live music, street performers, activities for children, food trucks and artisan and craft vendors. Free. Fri. 4-9 p.m., Sat. 9 a.m.-7 p.m. Heritage District, off Gilbert Road, between Guadalupe and Elliot roads. 480-503-6200. www.gilbertaz.gov

Nov. 1-23

See a Broadway classic

“Hello, Dolly!” won 10 Tony awards during its run on Broadway and remains a classic of the stage. Wed.-Thu. 7:30 p.m., Fri.-Sat. 4 p.m. and 7:30 p.m. $22-$40. Hale Centre Theatre, 50 W. Page Ave., Gilbert. 480-497-1181. www.haletheatrearizona.com

Nov. 5

Drop off your ballot before the deadline

The school finance election issues are all being decided by mail-in ballot, with the deadline to mail being Oct. 30. However, you can still drop off your ballot at the appropriate school district office during their business hours. Gilbert Public Schools, 140 S. Gilbert Road, Gilbert. 480-497-3300. www.gilbertschools.net. Higley USD, 2935 S. Recker Road, Gilbert. 480-279-7000. https://www.husd.org. Chandler USD, 1525 W. Frye Road, Chandler. 480-812-7000. www.cusd80.com

Nov. 6

Celebrate another park opening

Gilbert will celebrate the grand opening Desert Sky Park, its fitness-centered addition with four multiuse fields and an obstacle-course playground. It also will have a 3.5-acre lake and 11 ramadas when it opens Phase 1. The grand opening is scheduled from 5:30-8:30 p.m. Nov. 6. The ribbon cutting will be at 6:15 p.m. Attendees who conquer the course will receive a commemorative dog tag necklace declaring them a “Desert Sky Warrior.” They also can meet Adam Rayl, a four-time national finalist on NBC's "American Ninja Warrior,” who will be on hand at the unveiling of the fitness playground, which is the first of its kind for Gilbert. Also planned for the opening is an all-ages fun run at 6:30 p.m., inflatables, giveaways, food trucks and more. Free. 6624 S. Power Road, Gilbert. 480-503-6200. www.gilbertaz.gov
By Tom Blodgett
Raised in Arizona, Tom Blodgett has spent 30 years in journalism in Arizona and is the editor of the Gilbert edition of Community Impact Newspaper. He is a graduate of Arizona State University, where he now serves as an instructional professional in the Walter Cronkite School of Journalism and Mass Communication and editorial adviser to The State Press, the university's independent student media outlet.

Jenn Daniels
As protests continue, Gilbert mayor calls for town to listen

Gilbert Mayor Jenn Daniels on June 2 called for the town to be listening to people of color and anyone who has been treated unfairly.

(Isabella Short/Community Impact Newspaper)
Help for those seeking the best bang for their buck

Updating your home does not have to break the bank

Here are the coronavirus updates to know today in Gilbert. (Community Impact staff)
COVID-19: Gilbert see increase of 11 new cases June 2; state jumps more than 1,000 in day

Across Gilbert's six ZIP codes, there were 329 confirmed positive cases of COVID-19 on June 2, according to data from the state

coronavirus economy
April unemployment in Gilbert reaches record high

Unemployment in Gilbert jumped to a record 11.3% in April, according to statistics from the Arizona Commerce Authority.

Chandler Mayor Kevin Hartke; Chandler Police Chief Sean Duggan; and Rev. Victor Hardy, the president and co-founder of Chandler Men of Action, sat down for a Facebook Live event June 1 to discuss the death of George Floyd in Minneapolis and the importance of unity in the city of Chandler. (Screenshot courtesy city of Chandler)
Leaders discuss protests and more: News from Chandler, Gilbert

Read the latest news from the Phoenix area.

Gilbert Public Safety
Curfew closes Gilbert meetings to public; no protests seen in town

The Gilbert Town Council meeting for June 2 will remain closed to the public, with crucial items tabled, as part of the town’s response to the statewide curfew, town officials said

COVID-19: Gilbert jumps 23 new cases over weekend into June 1

Here are the coronavirus updates to know today in Gilbert.

The Arizona Department of Education released guidance for reopening schools. (Community Impact staff)
Arizona Department of Education releases roadmap for reopening schools for 2020-21 school year

The Arizona Department of Education released guidance for reopening schools.

Gov. Doug Ducey issued an emergency declaration and imposed a statewide curfew May 31. (Courtesy Adobe Stock)
Emergency curfew and more: Latest news from Chandler, Gilbert

Read the latest coverage of the Phoenix area from Community Impact Newspaper's website.

Arizona Gov. Doug Ducey issues statewide declaration of emergency, curfew

Gov. Doug Ducey issued an emergency declaration and imposed a statewide curfew May 31.

Mayor Jenn Daniels, shown here addressing the audience at the 2020 Digital State of the Town, has issued a new emergency declaration for Gilbert. (Tom Blodgett/Community Impact Newspaper)
Back-to-school scenarios, road closures: News from Gilbert, Chandler

Read some of Community Impact Newspaper’s latest coverage of Gilbert and Chandler.

Bradley Rogers, A/C Rangers Heating and Cooling
Home contractors still finding business through pandemic

A large percentage of businesses have been hit hard by the coronavirus pandemic, and while some home contractor and service businesses in Gilbert have followed that trend, others are seeing an uptick in need