Off the Street Festival, park opening highlight coming days in Gilbert

Off the Street Festival, Gilbert Arizona,
Gilbert's 2019 Off the Street Festival runs Nov. 1-2 in the Heritage District.

The weather has turned nice, and there's plenty to do about town in the coming week in Gilbert.

Nov. 1-2

Attend Off the Street Festival

Attendees of the town’s fourth annual event will find live music, street performers, activities for children, food trucks and artisan and craft vendors. Free. Fri. 4-9 p.m., Sat. 9 a.m.-7 p.m. Heritage District, off Gilbert Road, between Guadalupe and Elliot roads. 480-503-6200. www.gilbertaz.gov

Nov. 1-23

See a Broadway classic

“Hello, Dolly!” won 10 Tony awards during its run on Broadway and remains a classic of the stage. Wed.-Thu. 7:30 p.m., Fri.-Sat. 4 p.m. and 7:30 p.m. $22-$40. Hale Centre Theatre, 50 W. Page Ave., Gilbert. 480-497-1181. www.haletheatrearizona.com

Nov. 5

Drop off your ballot before the deadline

The school finance election issues are all being decided by mail-in ballot, with the deadline to mail being Oct. 30. However, you can still drop off your ballot at the appropriate school district office during their business hours. Gilbert Public Schools, 140 S. Gilbert Road, Gilbert. 480-497-3300. www.gilbertschools.net. Higley USD, 2935 S. Recker Road, Gilbert. 480-279-7000. https://www.husd.org. Chandler USD, 1525 W. Frye Road, Chandler. 480-812-7000. www.cusd80.com

Nov. 6

Celebrate another park opening

Gilbert will celebrate the grand opening Desert Sky Park, its fitness-centered addition with four multiuse fields and an obstacle-course playground. It also will have a 3.5-acre lake and 11 ramadas when it opens Phase 1. The grand opening is scheduled from 5:30-8:30 p.m. Nov. 6. The ribbon cutting will be at 6:15 p.m. Attendees who conquer the course will receive a commemorative dog tag necklace declaring them a “Desert Sky Warrior.” They also can meet Adam Rayl, a four-time national finalist on NBC's "American Ninja Warrior,” who will be on hand at the unveiling of the fitness playground, which is the first of its kind for Gilbert. Also planned for the opening is an all-ages fun run at 6:30 p.m., inflatables, giveaways, food trucks and more. Free. 6624 S. Power Road, Gilbert. 480-503-6200. www.gilbertaz.gov
By Tom Blodgett

Editor, Gilbert

Raised in Arizona, Tom Blodgett has spent more than 30 years in journalism in Arizona and joined Community Impact Newspaper in July 2018 to launch the Gilbert edition. He is a graduate of Arizona State University, where he served as an instructional professional in the Walter Cronkite School of Journalism and Mass Communication from 2005-19 and remains editorial adviser to The State Press, the university's independent student media outlet.