Final election results: Chandler, Mesa school district efforts pass

(Courtesy Adobe Stock)
(Courtesy Adobe Stock)

(Courtesy Adobe Stock)

On the ballot for the Nov. 5 mail-in election were two measures from school districts serving Chandler families—Mesa Public Schools and Chandler USD. Both questions on the ballot passed, according to final totals from the Marciopa County Recorder's Office released Nov. 8.

Chandler USD asked voters to approve a $290 million bond, the largest-ever bond in the district. District officials said the funds would go toward safety and security updates, the building of a new elementary and high school, modernization of older facilities, buses and more. With 45,927 ballots cast, Chandler USD's bond approval was at 63% in the final tally.

The district broke down what the bond dollars would fund into four main categories: $225.5 million for construction, acquisition, additions and/or improvements to new and existing schools; $25 million for the purchase of air-conditioned buses; $31.75 million for the purchase of technology, furniture, equipment and miscellaneous school furnishings; and $8 million for the construction, acquisition, additions and/or improvements to new and existing administrative facilities including technology, furniture and equipment. Chandler last passed a bond in 2015 for about $196 million.

Mesa Public Schools asked voters to approve a 15% budget maintenance and operations override, also known as a budget increase, to support competitive staff salaries, safety and security updates, and smaller class sizes.

With 75,956 ballots cast, Mesa Public Schools' override approval was at 55% on Nov. 8.


Mesa asked for an additional 5% budget increase this year on top of an existing increase of 10% that has been in place since 1995 for the total of 15%. The budget increase is for the district’s maintenance and operations budget, which covers teacher salaries and programming for students. The total 15% increase would provide $54 million per year for five years, then phase down by one-third each in years six and seven. Voter turnout in Chandler was just over 29% and was just under 28% in Mesa, according to the recorder's office.
By


MOST RECENT

Rita’s Burritos mixes customer service and authenticity

Rita's Burritos offers a burrito for every set of tastebuds.

The Downtown Chandler Community Partnership is launching a new interactive display of holiday decorations in downtown Chandler called "Sugarland." (Courtesy Downtown Chandler Community Partnership)
New interactive holiday display coming to Chandler and more local news

Read the latest business and community news from Gilbert and Chandler.

VB Cosmetics will move into the Lotus Project near Kyrene Road and Loop 202. (Courtesy city of Chandler)
VB Cosmetics Inc. announces new headquarters in Chandler

The company will move into the Lotus Project near Kyrene Road and Loop 202.

(Courtesy Adobe Stock)
Home prices on the rise across Chandler ZIP codes

See a snapshot of Chandler's real estate market.

The Downtown Chandler Community Partnership is launching a new interactive display of holiday decorations in downtown Chandler called "Sugarland." (Courtesy Downtown Chandler Community Partnership)
Downtown Chandler to get a new interactive holiday display this year

The Downtown Chandler Community Partnership is launching a new interactive display of holiday decorations in downtown Chandler called "Sugarland."

Here are the coronavirus hospitalization data updates to know across Arizona. (Community Impact staff)
Visits to the hospital for coronavirus symptoms slowly rising across Arizona

Take a look at the hospitalization data across Arizona.

Rewind dessert and drink shop pivots to keep customers coming during pandemic

Rewind in Chandler has found a way to keep customers coming in during the pandemic.

Twisted Sugar bakes some specialty cookies. (Tom Blodgett/Community Impact Newspaper)
See Gilbert, Chandler shops that cater to local sweets lovers

Find the latest news on sweets stores in Gilbert and Chandler.

City of Chandler officials hope to finish long-awaited veterans memorial in 2021

The city's veterans memorial is entering its second and final phase.

Gilbert home prices rise and more top local news from the past week

Read the most popular news from the past week from Gilbert and Chandler.