Election update Nov. 8: Chandler USD bond, Mesa Public Schools override results

Person casting ballot
Results are in for school measures on the Nov. 5 ballot in Chandler. (Courtesy Adobe Stock)

Results are in for school measures on the Nov. 5 ballot in Chandler. (Courtesy Adobe Stock)

Editor note: This story was updated to reflect the most recent results as of Nov. 7.

The Maricopa County Recorder's Office released unofficial results of the state's Nov. 5 mail-in election. On the ballot were two measures from school districts serving Chandler families—Mesa Public Schools and Chandler USD. Both questions on the ballot were passing in the most recent update on Nov. 7.

Chandler USD asked voters to approve a $290 million bond, the largest-ever bond in the district. District officials said the funds would go toward safety and security updates, the building of a new elementary and high school, modernization of older facilities, buses and more.

With 44,356 ballots cast, Chandler USD's bond approval was at 62% Nov. 7.

The district broke down what the bond dollars also would fund into four main categories: $225.5 million for construction, acquisition, additions and/or improvements to new and existing schools; $25 million for the purchase of air-conditioned buses; $31.75 million for the purchase of technology, furniture, equipment and miscellaneous school furnishings and $8 million for the construction, acquisition, additions and/or improvements to new and existing administrative facilities including technology, furniture and equipment. Chandler last passed a bond in 2015 for about $196 million.


Mesa Public Schools asked voters to approve a 15% budget maintenance and operations override, also known as a budget increase, to support competitive staff salaries, safety and security updates and smaller class sizes.

With 73,848 ballots cast, Mesa Public Schools' override approval was at 55% Nov. 7.

Mesa asked for an additional 5% budget increase this year, on top of an existing increase of 10% that’s been in place since 1995 for the total of 15%. The budget increase is for the district’s maintenance and operations budget, which covers teacher salaries and programming for students.

The total 15% increase would provide $54 million per year for five years, then phase down by one-third each in years six and seven.

Voter turnout in Chandler was just over 28% and over 26% in Mesa, according to the Maricopa County Recorder's Office Nov. 5. Maricopa County Recorder Adrian Fontes announced via Twitter that election results will be updated daily until "all valid ballots have been counted."

Chandler USD Superintendent Camille Casteel tweeted election results Nov. 5 and said the district was "fortunate to have such a supportive community."

"We will do everything we can to make you proud," Casteel said in the tweet.
By


MOST RECENT

State guidance to schools on reopening for in-person instruction focuses on three health metrics (Community Impact Newspaper staff)
State releases metrics for schools to determine start of in-person instruction

State guidance to schools on reopening for in-person instruction focuses on three health metrics

Hamilton High School will serve as a COVID-19 testing site. (Courtesy Adobe Stock)
Hamilton High School to serve as COVID-19 testing site

The tests will be conducted through Embry Women's Health at the high school located at 3700 S. Arizona Ave. in Chandler.

Chandler USD will remain online for the first quarter.  (Community Impact staff)
Chandler USD to continue with remote learning through first quarter

Chandler USD will remain online for the first quarter.

West Alley BBQ & Smokehouse blends Southern tastes and hospitality

Christian Brantley said his family started West Alley BBQ & Smokehouse in Chandler on a whim.

See early results from the Chandler City Council election. (Community Impact staff)
Updated: See who is leading in the race for three seats on Chandler City Council

See early results from the Chandler City Council election.

The U.S. Census Bureau will halt its counting operation a month earlier than expected. (Courtesy U.S. Census Bureau)
U.S. Census Bureau to halt counting operation a month earlier than expected

The self-response deadline has moved up to Sept. 30.

The state's highest education official said Aug. 3 that is was "unlikely" that any Arizona school will be able to reopen for in-person or hybrid learning by Gov. Doug Ducey's targeted Aug. 17 date. (Community Impact staff)
State superintendent: It is 'unlikely' schools will resume in-person on target Aug. 17 date

The state's highest education official said Aug. 3 that is was "unlikely" that any Arizona school will be able to reopen for in-person or hybrid learning by Gov. Doug Ducey's targeted Aug. 17 date.