The county has $23 million available for business grants for small businesses, home-based businesses, mobile businesses and nonprofit organizations. Mesa and Phoenix were the only two of the Valley's cities to receive coronavirus relief dollars on a city level, which is why they are excluded from this grant program.
The funding is administered by the Arizona Community Foundation, according to the county, and grants will be awarded on a rolling basis until funding is exhausted or the grant period ends.
To qualify, a business or nonprofit must meet all of the following requirements.
- In operation in Maricopa County, but not within the cities of Phoenix or Mesa, prior to January 1, 2019
- Employs 25 or fewer full-time equivalents as of March 1, 2020
- Did not generate more than $3 million in gross revenues between January 1, 2019, and December 31, 2019
- Had gross revenue decline by at least 25% as a result of COVID-19 in March and April 2020 as compared to March and April 2019
- Has not received other COVID-19-related government financial assistance, including but not limited to Payroll Protection Program, Economic Injury Disaster Loan, SBA Express Bridge Loans and SBA Debt Relief
- Meets required zoning and regulatory requirements, including the following:
- Having the proper zoning entitlements
- Not having any active enforcement actions against the applicant by Maricopa County or their respective city/town government
- In substantial compliance, meaning that the county or respective city/town has not taken any enforcement action authorized by law for any deficiencies
- In good standing with the Arizona Corporation Commission
- Complies with the following provisions:
- Not an adult-oriented business as defined by A.R.S. § 11-811 (E)(5)
- Not engaged in the growth, harvest, storage, transport, distribution, use or otherwise providing cannabis for medical or recreational purposes
- Not owned, in whole or part, by a Maricopa County official or employee who, in their official capacity, participates in the oversight, development or implementation of the Maricopa County Small Business/Nonprofit Relief Program
More information and an application can be found at https://azfoundation.org/grantsloans/maricopacountyreliefgrants.aspx.