Labor Day proves good weekend for going to theater in Gilbert

Gilbert arrives at Labor Day weekend with a variety of things to do beyond a family cookout.

Aug. 28-Oct. 5
Catch the performance of ‘Bright Star’ musical show

Hale Centre Theatre is performing the Broadway musical “Bright Star.” The show is a story of love, family, and redemption set in the American South from the 1920s to ‘40s.

7:30 p.m. (Thu.-Fri.); 4:30 p.m., 7:30 p.m. (Sat.). $22-$40. Hale Centre Theatre, 50 W. Page Ave., Gilbert. 480-497-1181. www.haletheatrearizona.com

Aug. 29
Bowl with the Chamber

Gilbert Chamber of Commerce is hosting a bowling event to raise funds for the Gilbert Chamber Foundation. Bowlers can compete in teams of up to six. Awards will be given to the top individual performers, best-dressed team and the last-place team. There will be raffles and a silent auction, and dinner is provided.

5:30-9:30 p.m. $30 (spectators), $550 (per team). Fat Cat’s, 4321 E. Baseline Road, Gilbert. 480-892-0056. https://gilbertaz.com

Aug. 29-Sept. 7
Actors Youth Theatre puts on performance of ‘Pippin’

Actors Youth Theatre will present an updated circus-inspired version of the Tony Award-winning musical “Pippin.” The story is of a young prince on a journey to find the secret to true happiness and satisfaction, something he does not find on the battlefield, through fleshly temptations or in political power.

7 p.m. (Thu.-Fri.);
3 p.m., 7 p.m. (Sat.). $15. Tuscany Theatre,
861 N. Higley Road, Gilbert.
480-907-7050. www.aytaz.org

Aug. 30-Sept. 2
Gilbert Water Tower Lighting
The Gilbert Water Tower will be lit red, white and blue for Labor Day.

By Tom Blodgett

Editor, Gilbert

Raised in Arizona, Tom Blodgett has spent more than 30 years in journalism in Arizona and joined Community Impact Newspaper in July 2018 to launch the Gilbert edition. He is a graduate of Arizona State University, where he served as an instructional professional in the Walter Cronkite School of Journalism and Mass Communication from 2005-19 and remains editorial adviser to The State Press, the university's independent student media outlet.