What you and your mummy can do in or near Gilbert this weekend

The Gilbert Fire and Rescue Department is offering CPR training and certification.

After all those 110 degree days the past couple weeks, a few days under 110 sounds like get-outside weather. If you are so inclined, here are some things to do.

July 20
Take a jog in the morning
StartLine Racing hosts this Sunrise Series 5K run, limited to 600 participants. This is the fifth of seven runs in the series. 4-7 p.m. (packet pickup July 19 at Road Runner Sports, 43 S. McClintock Drive, Tempe), 5:30 a.m. (race day registration), 6:30-9:30 a.m. (races). $30-$40. Riparian Preserve at Water Ranch, 2757 E. Guadalupe Road, Gilbert. 480-912-7878. https://startlineracing.com/events

July 20
Watch black belts spar
Arizona Martial Arts Referee and Rating System, a tournament organizer, is sanctioning this black belts-only karate tournament with competition in weapons, sparring, musical forms and forms. Forms are a detailed choreographed set of movements. 10 a.m. $5 (age 17 and under spectators), $10 (adult spectators). Highland Junior High School, 6915 E. Guadalupe Road, Mesa. www.azmarrs.com

July 20
Learn how to save a life and earn certification
The Gilbert Fire & Rescue Department offers a CPR pro certification class. The certification is good for two years. Spots are limited. 6-9 p.m. $25. Gilbert Fire & Rescue Administration Office, 85 E. Civic Center Drive, Gilbert. 480-503-6300.
www.gilbertaz.gov/departments/fire-and-rescue

Worth the drive
Through Sept. 2
'Mummies of the World’

•“Mummies of the World: The Exhibition” features 40 real human and animal mummies and 85 rare artifacts from across the globe. The exhibition provides a window into the lives of ancient people from every region of the world. Multimedia stations allow guests to explore the mummies’ history and origins. 10 a.m.-5 p.m. (daily), 5-8:15 p.m. (exhibit only June 27, July 5, 13, 20). Free (members), $7.95-$14 (exhibition tickets), $13-$18 (general admission). Arizona Science Center, 600 E. Washington St., Phoenix. 602-716-2000.
www.azscience.org

By Tom Blodgett

Editor, Gilbert

Raised in Arizona, Tom Blodgett has spent more than 30 years in journalism in Arizona and joined Community Impact Newspaper in July 2018 to launch the Gilbert edition. He is a graduate of Arizona State University, where he served as an instructional professional in the Walter Cronkite School of Journalism and Mass Communication from 2005-19 and remains editorial adviser to The State Press, the university's independent student media outlet.