'Newsies' under way at Hale Centre Theatre; nonprofits also at work for weekend

May weather arrived just in time for June. Here's a few things you can do this weekend—some of them out of the heat.

Through June 29
Watch the ‘Newsies’

The Hale Centre Theatre puts on the stage production of the Disney tale about a ragged band of teenaged “newsies.” 7 p.m. (Wed.-Thu.), 3 and 7:30 p.m. (Fri. and Sat.). $22-$40. 50 W. Page Ave., Gilbert. 480-497-1181.
www.haletheatrearizona.com

May 31
Put together Period Care Packages for nonprofits

Branching Out Family Services and Go With the Flow nonprofits are collecting feminine hygiene products and zipper/makeup pouches, then gathering to pack period care packages. The packages will be distributed to high schools, organizations and foster care group facilities to ensure that girls are not missing school days because of their period. 6:30-8 p.m. Free. Dance Republic, 125 S. Higley Road, Ste. 103, Gilbert. 480-370-1440.
www.allforgood.org

June 1
Assist animals at Sandy
Tennyson Golf Social

This second annual event provides assistance to animal shelters and rescues. The group hopes to provide three $1,000 scholarships at Mesa Community College for students in the veterinary technician program. 6:30 a.m. (registration), 7:30 a.m. (shotgun start). $60-$300. Kokopelli Golf Club, 1800 W. Guadalupe Road, Gilbert. 480-620-6260.
www.eastsideelves.org

By Tom Blodgett
Raised in Arizona, Tom Blodgett has spent 30 years in journalism in Arizona and is the editor of the Gilbert edition of Community Impact Newspaper. He is a graduate of Arizona State University, where he now serves as an instructional professional in the Walter Cronkite School of Journalism and Mass Communication and editorial adviser to The State Press, the university's independent student media outlet.

Goldfish Swim School anticipates opening June 15 in Gilbert. (Tom Blodgett/Community Impact Newspaper)
3 businesses coming soon to Gilbert; Higley USD puts bond on ballot and more top area news

Read the latest business and community news from the past week from the Gilbert and Chandler areas.

The proposed $95 million bond places an emphasis on funding technology and safety and security, district officials said. (Courtesy Higley USD)
Higley USD taking bond question to voters

The proposed $95 million bond places an emphasis on funding technology and safety and security, district officials said.

Between January and April, the Maricopa County Assessor's Office reported 19,232 permits for home construction work, according to the county. (Courtesy Adobe Stock)
Home construction projects on the rise across Maricopa County

Home construction permits are seeing a sharp increase across Maricopa County, according to data from the Maricopa County Assessor's Office.

As of June 7, 6,016,915 doses of COVID-19 vaccine have been administered to 3,385,174 individuals, including 2,884,332 who are now fully vaccinated. (Courtesy Adobe Stock)
ADHS: Nearly 3 million Arizonans are fully vaccinated against COVID-19

More than 3.4 million Arizonans have receieved at least one dose of the COVID-19 vaccine, according to ADHS.

Picazzo's Healthy Italian Kitchen will open June 3 in Gilbert. (Tom Blodgett/Community Impact Newspaper)
Picazzo's restaurant opens in Gilbert; Chandler council calls for bond election and more top area news

Read the top business and community news from the past week from the Gilbert and Chandler areas.

Four business changes at SanTan Village

Here are four business changes at SanTan Village shopping center in Gilbert.

Cafe Rio
Cafe Rio Mexican Grill opens on Power Road in Gilbert

The restaurant serves made-from-scratch Mexican food with fresh ingredients.

Gilbert Water Tower
Gilbert collecting items to battle summer heat

The efforts are specifically aimed at helping homeless, young and elderly people who are at increased risk from the heat.

Goldfish Swim School
Three businesses coming soon to Gilbert

Here are three businesses that will open soon in Gilbert.

Gilbert real estate data for April 2021
Median home prices in Gilbert ZIP codes rise above $400,000 in April

Here is what you need to know about Gilbert's residential real estate market from April 2021.

Gilbert mural
Gilbert set to host last group discussion on inclusivity

The town of Gilbert is holding its final group discussion on inclusivity at 10:30 a.m. June 5.

Romeo Taus, who emigrated from Romania at age 18, shows off his Pork Molise dish. Pork Molise ($29) is a grilled pork tenderloin wrapped in bacon, and served with roasted garlic, horseradish mashed potatoes, honey caramelized onions and apricot-dark cherry sauce. (Tom Blodgett/Community Impact Newspaper)
Romeo's Euro Cafe marks 30th anniversary in Gilbert's Heritage District

Self-taught chef Romeo Taus’ restaurant has a Mediterranean menu with wines.