Dancing lessons, bird walks & stage plays: Things to do in Gilbert, Aug. 31-Sept. 8

Every Friday, children age 5 and younger with adult supervision can go explore balls, hoops and tunnels at McQueen Park.

Take a look at these Gilbert events taking place during the beginning of September (and one through October).

Through Oct. 6
See The Scarlet Pimpernel

This classic story from Baroness Emma Orczy, set against the French Revolution, has made the rounds in entertainment circles since its start as a stage play in 1903. It has since become a book, at least 11 big-screen movies, a TV movie, a TV mini-series, radio serials and been parodied by Looney Tunes with Daffy Duck in The Scarlet Pumpernickel. But what Hale Theatre Arizona is staging is the 1997 Broadway musical.

Shows are at 7 p.m. Wednesdays and Thursdays, 7:30 p.m. Fridays, 3 p.m. and 7:30 p.m. Saturdays.

$20-$36. Hale Theatre Centre, 50 W. Page Ave. 480-497-1181. haletheatrearizona.com

Aug. 31 and Sept. 7
Playtime at McQueen Park

Every Friday, children age 5 and younger with adult supervision can go explore balls, hoops and tunnels.

9-11 a.m. $1.50 for resident children. McQueen Park Activity Center, 510 N. Horne St. 480-503-6294. gilbertaz.gov

Sept. 6
Car seat education and installation

Gilbert Fire & Rescue plays host to this monthly event where you are shown the proper way to install your child’s car seat. Bring your owners manuals for the seat and the vehicle and have enough room in the car for the technician and you to climb in the vehicle.

This is usually held the first Thursday of the month and is by appointment only.

8-11 a.m. Gilbert Fire & Rescue – Fire Station No. 2, 2855 E. Guadalupe Road. facebook.com/GilbertFireDept

Sept. 7
Dancing and music lessons and performances

Actors Youth Theatre and the Conner Sisters present a night of dancing and music with beginner lessons taught from

7-7:45 p.m., performance by the Swing Kids junior dance troupe at 8:30 p.m. and social swing dancing in between and until 11 p.m.

$5-$7. Tuscany Theatre, 861 N. Higley Road. 480-907-7050. aytaz.org

Sept. 8
Take a Bird Walk

Designed for adults, this event will run 90 minutes to two hours, plus additional wrapup time to review what you saw. Participation is limited to 12 registrants.

Free. Donations of $5 are suggested. 6 a.m. Riparian Preserve at Water Ranch, 2757 E. Guadalupe Road. Register with Kathe Anderson at [email protected].

By Tom Blodgett

Editor, Gilbert

Raised in Arizona, Tom Blodgett has spent more than 30 years in journalism in Arizona and joined Community Impact Newspaper in July 2018 to launch the Gilbert edition. He is a graduate of Arizona State University, where he served as an instructional professional in the Walter Cronkite School of Journalism and Mass Communication from 2005-19 and remains editorial adviser to The State Press, the university's independent student media outlet.

Khao Soy
Familial, cultural roots mark Mr. Thai Bistro

Inside Mr. Thai Bistro, customers will find a place that upholds valued traditions.

Brandy Grooms (second from left) is seen with her staff at Wonderful Wanda's. (Alexa D'Angelo/Community Impact Newspaper)
Wonderful Wanda's brings taste of Midwest to Chandler; Gilbert Public Schools to follow state mask mandate and more top area news

Read the top news from the past week from the Chandler and Gilbert areas, including how the Gilbert Fire & Rescue Service is taking over ambulance service.

Modern Law Express door
Three business that have opened in Gilbert

Here are three businesses that have opened in the past three months in Gilbert.

Gov. Doug Ducey said Arizona law prohibiting mask mandates remains in place following new guidance from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommending all individuals—including fully vaccinated individuals—wear masks in K-12 schools. (Courtesy Adobe Stock)
Gov. Ducey reaffirms law prohibiting mask mandates following updated guidance from CDC

Gov. Doug Ducey said Arizona law prohibiting mask mandates remains in place following new guidance from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommending all individuals—including fully vaccinated individuals—wear masks in K-12 schools. 

Shane McCord
Gilbert Public Schools to follow state mandates on masks

Face masks will be optional, and schools will be vigilant about student and staff behavior regarding any mask bullying, GPS Superintendent Shane McCord told the governing board July 27

Gilbert Ambulance Transportation Division members, ambulance
Gilbert takes over ambulance service in town

Gilbert residents requiring ambulance transportation are being served through the Gilbert Fire & Rescue Department starting this week.

The CDC reversed its masking guidance for fully vaccinated individuals in response to the transmissibility of the delta variant of COVID-19 in a press conference July 27. (Community Impact Newspaper staff)
NEW CDC GUIDANCE: All individuals should wear masks in K-12 schools, including those who are fully vaccinated

CDC Director Dr. Rochelle Walensky announced the new masking recommendations during a July 27 press conference.

Liam Chase, Hammer & Strings Conservatory
Hammer & Strings Conservatory brings credentialed instructors for music education to Gilbert

From the iconic classical compositions to the melodic sound of a wind chime, music can be recognized anywhere. Karali Hunter, owner of Hammer & Strings Conservatory, learned that a quality education in music may be much harder to find.

Gilbert mural
Gilbert asks public for input on land development code

The town of Gilbert is seeking public input as it works on updating the town’s land development code.

Now open sign
Three salons now open in Gilbert

Here are three salons that have opened recently in Gilbert.

Dawn Foley, Coronado Elementary School students
Q&A: New Higley USD superintendent talks about new school year

New Higley USD Superintendent Dawn Foley answers questions ahead of the start of the new school year July 26