Work on Gilbert Road shifts to center, shifting traffic again

Road crews have begun work to reconstruct the center of Gilbert Road between Baseline and Guadalupe roads.

Southbound traffic in the area is shifted to the west onto the new asphalt pavement, and northbound traffic is shifted to the east on new asphalt pavement, two lanes in each direction.

The work is part of a $6.15 million Gilbert Road improvements project that started in November. The project includes reconstructing asphalt roadway and replacing existing driveways to comply with ADA requirements and various sidewalk or curb in need of repair.

New raised median islands and pavement markings will also be installed to provide additional safety by limiting left-turn movements near one another.

Crews recently completed work in the west side of Gilbert Road from just north of Guadalupe Road to Baseline Road, with paving taking place June 28.

To accommodate work in the center of Gilbert Road, which involves removing asphalt in the center, left turns are not permitted except for at Baseline Road; and Ash Street and Houston Avenue will be sequenced to permit left turns.

Left turns or through traffic will not be permitted through late in the week of July 8 at Ash Street or the Fry’s Plaza at Gilbert Road so that work can take place in the middle of Gilbert Road at these locations.

During this time, access at Ash Street or the Fry’s Plaza to or from Gilbert Road is available via right turns only. Houston Avenue will be available for left turn movements.

Once work is completed in the center of Gilbert Road at Ash Street and the Fry’s Plaza, work will move to Houston Avenue until late the week of July 15.

During this time, left turns or through traffic will not be permitted for Houston Avenue at Gilbert Road so that work can take place in the middle of Gilbert Road at Houston Avenue. Access at Houston Avenue to or from Gilbert Road will be available via right turns only.

However, Ash Street and the Fry’s Plaza will then be available for left turn movements.

The project is scheduled to be completed in the fall.

By Tom Blodgett

Editor, Gilbert

Raised in Arizona, Tom Blodgett has spent more than 30 years in journalism in Arizona and joined Community Impact Newspaper in July 2018 to launch the Gilbert edition. He is a graduate of Arizona State University, where he served as an instructional professional in the Walter Cronkite School of Journalism and Mass Communication from 2005-19 and remains editorial adviser to The State Press, the university's independent student media outlet.