Higley USD classified staff pay lags behind market

Higley USD is only paying its classified staff employees about 30% of their market value, according to district officials.

Human Resources Executive Director Mum Martens told the governing board at its May 14 meeting that the figure was part of the initial findings of a compensation study HUSD joined with nine other nearby school districts, including Gilbert Public Schools and Chandler USD.

“Honestly, that wasn't the surprise,” Martens told the board about the market value figure. “In the bigger picture of what it means, it's a bigger amount for us to climb.”

The vendor the districts are working with in the study gave HUSD a proposed compensation schedule that would increase the cost of classified employees’ salaries by about $950,000 annually.

Martens called the number “scary” and said the district is looking at options to mitigate the costs while staying competitive in keeping the employees. The district has about 525 classified employee positions.

Martens will return with a proposal for the board at its June 14 meeting.

Other actions

• The district approved a sports marketing agreement with Sponsor Burst, a high school sports sponsorship company with a cloud-based platform. Board member Greg Wojtovich voted in dissent, expressing concern about giving away naming rights that could erode schools’ identities and passively endorsing products. However, Support Services Assistant Superintendent Michael Fowler said the district would retain the right to reject particular sponsors.

• The board unanimously approved meal prices for the 2019-20 school year. Full-cost breakfast will cost students $2, while lunches would be $2.85 for elementary school students, $3.25 for junior high students and $3.40 for high school students. Students approved for reduced-price meals would pay $0.30 for breakfast and $0.40 for lunch at all levels. The board also approved Chartwells at the food service management company.

• McCarthy Building Company was selected to do the construction of Williams Field High School’s 5,400-square-foot weight room, which is expected to cost $1.08 million.

• Centennial Elementary School was selected as the district’s winner in its innovation challenge project, and the school was awarded $5,000. Centennial's future engineers program gave innovative STEM challenges to students on each grade level. Honorable mentions and $2,500 went to Bridges Elementary, Sossaman Middle and Williams Field High schools. Educational Services Assistant Superintendent Warren Shillingburg created the competition to foster innovative learning environments.
By Tom Blodgett
Raised in Arizona, Tom Blodgett has spent 30 years in journalism in Arizona and is the editor of the Gilbert edition of Community Impact Newspaper. He is a graduate of Arizona State University, where he now serves as an instructional professional in the Walter Cronkite School of Journalism and Mass Communication and editorial adviser to The State Press, the university's independent student media outlet.

The Chandler USD governing board will meet June 23 and will discuss the possibility of adopting a resolution to call for an override election. (Alexa D'Angelo/Community Impact Newspaper)
Chandler USD governing board to discuss possible override election

The Chandler USD governing board will meet June 23 and will discuss the possibility of adopting a resolution to call for an override election.

Road barrels
Lanes to be closed overnight on Loop 202-Santan Freeway

Loop 202-Santan Freeway will undergo overnight lane closures in the Gilbert area from June 22-July 2.

Road work sign
Recker Road project reaches 60% completion

The improvements will bring Recker Road to minor arterial road standards, including four lanes, bike lanes, sidewalks and streetlights.

Coming soon
Tap Dragon Craft Beer & Wine Bar opening pushed back to September

Tap Dragon will offer local craft beers and a rotating wine list, meads and ciders

Jeremiah's Ice
Jeremiah's Italian Ice set to open in Gilbert Warner center in mid-July

The shop serves 40 flavors of Italian Ice and three flavors of soft ice cream.

Colton Grubb announced Grubstak would close its doors June 13. (Alexa D'Angelo/Community Impact Newspaper)
Grubstak in Chandler closes; Gilbert Town Council OKs park with stipulations and more top area news

Read the top business and community news from the past week from Chandler and Gilbert.

Gilbert Municipal Building I
Gilbert committee to consider uses for new logo

The Gilbert Town Council directed staff at its June 15 meeting to pull together an internal committee to study appropriate uses of the town’s new logo.

Randy Nelson
Gilbert Town Council approves Santan Adventure Park with stipulations

A developer cleared a final hurdle to build Santan Adventure Park at a site off Gilbert’s Crossroads Regional Park, but neighbors earned some concessions in the final vote.

See a breakdown of COVID-19 cases, vaccinations and more local data. (Community Impact staff)
COVID-19 cases down, vaccinations up across Gilbert

The Arizona Department of Health Services reported 31,381 COVID-19 cases overall in Gilbert's six ZIP codes June 13.

Here are the coronavirus hospitalization data updates to know across Arizona. (Community Impact staff)
COVID-19-related hospitalizations continue to remain low across Arizona

Take a look at the hospitalization data across Arizona.

In the last week, Maricopa County residents received about 10,000 doses of COVID-19 vaccine per day, according to the county. (Courtesy Adobe Stock)
50% of Maricopa County residents age 10 and older have received at least one COVID-19 vaccine dose

In the last week, about 10,000 Maricopa County residents received doses of COVID-19 vaccine per day, according to the county.

Goldfish Swim School anticipates opening June 15 in Gilbert. (Tom Blodgett/Community Impact Newspaper)
3 businesses coming soon to Gilbert; Higley USD puts bond on ballot and more top area news

Read the latest business and community news from the past week from the Gilbert and Chandler areas.