Council to consider developer for 9.1-acre Heritage District site

An early rendering shows how the town thought The Commons area might look. The rendering was made before Gilbert Town Council selected a developer.

Gilbert has selected a developer for 9.1 acres of town-owned land at the north end of the Heritage District and will sell the lot if Town Council approves at its May 15 meeting.

If approved, the development of the site will begin bringing the latest Heritage District redevelopment plan to life. Council approved that plan last August, and the 9.1-acre site is one of three sites identified as being core redevelopment areas.

The plans from the selected developer, Heritage North Partners, check off items that were on the town’s wish list for the “north anchor," including a boutique hotel and office and retail space. The plan also calls for multifamily housing and two parking garages, one to accommodate residents and the other for businesses and the hotel.

Amenities included

The proposed agreement also has the developer start work on two amenities for the district: The Commons, a 15,000-square-foot open space area that can be used for public events, and the north end of The Paseo, a north-south passage through the district that would be restricted to pedestrians and bikes.

In addition, it calls for improvements along the Western Powerline Trail, including spending no less than $150,000 on public art for it.

The area is bordered by the trail to the south, Juniper Avenue to the north, Gilbert Road to the east and Ash Avenue to the west. The lot today is crushed gravel that serves as parking for the area.

Deal's details

The developer and town have agreed to a process to determine a fair market value for the lot, according to town documents, but the minimum purchase price has been set at $5.33 million.

The documents also show the developer anticipating a June 2020 start to construction for items except the hotel, which would start in November 2020. The office and retails space are expected to be completed in September 2021 and the hotel in April 2022. The end of the multifamily housing construction in May 2022 would mark completion of the project.

Heritage North Partners was selected through a request for proposals process the town conducted. The town owns about 56% of the land in the Heritage District, and town officials have said they intend to use their ownership to leverage bringing items to the district the town wants to see there.

By Tom Blodgett
Raised in Arizona, Tom Blodgett has spent 30 years in journalism in Arizona and is the editor of the Gilbert edition of Community Impact Newspaper. He is a graduate of Arizona State University, where he now serves as an instructional professional in the Walter Cronkite School of Journalism and Mass Communication and editorial adviser to The State Press, the university's independent student media outlet.

See a breakdown of COVID-19 cases, vaccinations and more local data. (Community Impact staff)
COVID-19 cases increasing slowly, vaccinations up across Gilbert

The Arizona Department of Health Services reported 31,547 COVID-19 cases overall in Gilbert's six ZIP codes June 20, an increase from 166 from the previous week.

Here are the coronavirus hospitalization data updates to know across Arizona. (Community Impact staff)
Fewer patients being seen for COVID-19-like symptoms

Here is what you need to know about hospitalization numbers in Arizona because of COVID-19 cases.

The Chandler USD governing board will meet June 23 and will discuss the possibility of adopting a resolution to call for an override election. (Alexa D'Angelo/Community Impact Newspaper)
Chandler USD governing board to discuss possible override election

The Chandler USD governing board will meet June 23 and will discuss the possibility of adopting a resolution to call for an override election.

Road barrels
Lanes to be closed overnight on Loop 202-Santan Freeway

Loop 202-Santan Freeway will undergo overnight lane closures in the Gilbert area from June 22-July 2.

Road work sign
Recker Road project reaches 60% completion

The improvements will bring Recker Road to minor arterial road standards, including four lanes, bike lanes, sidewalks and streetlights.

Coming soon
Tap Dragon Craft Beer & Wine Bar opening pushed back to September

Tap Dragon will offer local craft beers and a rotating wine list, meads and ciders

Jeremiah's Ice
Jeremiah's Italian Ice set to open in Gilbert Warner center in mid-July

The shop serves 40 flavors of Italian Ice and three flavors of soft ice cream.

Colton Grubb announced Grubstak would close its doors June 13. (Alexa D'Angelo/Community Impact Newspaper)
Grubstak in Chandler closes; Gilbert Town Council OKs park with stipulations and more top area news

Read the top business and community news from the past week from Chandler and Gilbert.

Gilbert Municipal Building I
Gilbert committee to consider uses for new logo

The Gilbert Town Council directed staff at its June 15 meeting to pull together an internal committee to study appropriate uses of the town’s new logo.

Randy Nelson
Gilbert Town Council approves Santan Adventure Park with stipulations

A developer cleared a final hurdle to build Santan Adventure Park at a site off Gilbert’s Crossroads Regional Park, but neighbors earned some concessions in the final vote.

COVID-19 cases down, vaccinations up across Gilbert

The Arizona Department of Health Services reported 31,381 COVID-19 cases overall in Gilbert's six ZIP codes June 13.

COVID-19-related hospitalizations continue to remain low across Arizona

Take a look at the hospitalization data across Arizona.