Gilbert Public Schools board approves pay raises for 2019-20 school year

From left: The Gilbert Public Schools governing board, plus the district superintendent, comprises Charles Santa Cruz, Lori Wood, Sheila Uggetti, Superintendent Shane McCord, Reed Carr and Jill Humpherys.

With the blessing of district teachers, the Gilbert Public Schools governing board passed a pay raise March 26 of 4.5 percent for teachers and 3 percent for administrators and staff for the 2019-20 school year.

The pay raise falls short of Arizona Gov. Doug Ducey’s 5 percent proposal for teachers next year. However, the district’s interest-based bargaining team endorsed the proposal so that staff members and administrators not covered by the governor’s plan could get higher raises. That bargaining team included representatives for teachers and staff.

The governing board passed the raise on a 5-0 vote.

The alternative was a 5 percent raise for teachers with a 2 percent increase for staff and administrators. Those raises would be in line with the governor's proposal.

“Bottom line, we won't get a 5 percent raise this year because that's not the way it was funded by the state,” said Gilbert Education Association President Diane Drazinski, a Mesquite High School chemistry teacher. “And because we support the notion that it takes a village [to raise a child], we know that all the staff, not just the governor's definition of a teacher, deserve a raise.”

Governor’s plan

Ducey’s plan, set forth last year in the wake of the #RedForEd teacher walkout, called for a 20 percent pay raise over three years. Earlier in 2018, Ducey had proposed a 1 percent raise for teachers for this school year.

The “20 by ‘20” plan called for an additional 9 percent for this school year, and then 5 percent raises for the next two school years.

However, the percentages for those raises were based on the average teacher salaries across the state at the time. Additionally, the raises were not compounded year over year, but as a flat percentage from the base average salary.

Additionally, Ducey’s proposal only covers classroom teachers. Gilbert Public Schools has 94 additional certified staff, such as counselors and academic coaches, that it also considers teachers, Business Services Assistant Superintendent Bonnie Betz said. The district covers raises for those workers the same way it does classroom teachers, she said.

Furthermore, Gilbert Public Schools’ teacher salaries were higher than the state average at the time the base was set. That came from the 2016-17 school year salary information, officials said.

For all those reasons, GPS does not expect to be allotted enough money to fund 5 percent raises to all teachers for the coming school year, Betz said.

Closing budget gap

In fact, with mandatory spending increases, such as on Arizona State Retirement System payments; recommended increases to meet district goals, such as adding an International Baccalaureate program at Gilbert High School; and the salary increases, the district faces more than a $7 million gap between expected funding and its budget, Betz said.

As a result, the district will use some on-going and one-time “mitigating strategies” to balance the budget, Betz said.

Board President Reed Carr said the district is in a hard place between being short the money for the raises but needing to remain competitive in salaries. He noted the transfer of restored District Additional Assistance dollars, earmarked for capital project, into the maintenance and operations budget to cover salaries.

“That will catch up with us at some point,” Carr said. “We don't have those funds to transfer. We cannot sustain the raises for everybody at a percentage higher than the dollars we receive. Nevertheless, we recognize that we also have competitive market forces that force our hand. We are competing with the districts around us and the districts throughout the state who are doing this, and in some cases doing it even to a larger extent than we are. We can't not act and lose our best employees to those who are doing more.”

Carr also praised the bargaining team for the way it conducted itself.

“It's not easy being selected to represent your peer group and then to come in and say, ‘well, we know that district proposal that the admin put together is one thing, but we're willing to take less so that others can have more,'” he said. “I think that speaks very highly of the type of person that works in this district, and we appreciate that our employees look out for each other.”

Benefits

However, district employees also will be facing an increase in employee benefits contributions.

While the district will absorb the brunt of benefit increases, employees can expect to see their contributions increase 7.5 to 7.6 percent, according to district documents.

The board also approved those benefit packages by a 5-0 vote.

Audit

Jennifer Shields of auditor group Heinfield, Meech & Co. also reported to the board that the district’s 2017-18 annual financial report will be reported as clean, or unmodified, under the annual audit.

However, Shields said the audit will have three individual findings, two of which it considers significant deficiencies that the board and district management must address with corrective actions. Those items are in payroll and compensated absences.

Shields said the district also has had a material weakness in its cash reconciliation process. However, she praised the work of members of the finance office in cleaning up that process. She said it often takes several cycles to successfully do so.

Shields told the board the auditors had no difficulties in working with the district on the audit.

Auditors also noted improvements in areas that include cash and revenues, expenditures, information technology and student attendance.
By Tom Blodgett

Editor, Gilbert

Raised in Arizona, Tom Blodgett has spent more than 30 years in journalism in Arizona and joined Community Impact Newspaper in July 2018 to launch the Gilbert edition. He is a graduate of Arizona State University, where he served as an instructional professional in the Walter Cronkite School of Journalism and Mass Communication from 2005-19 and remains editorial adviser to The State Press, the university's independent student media outlet.

Road worker shoveling
Traffic shifting to north side on Germann Road in Gilbert project area

Germann Road traffic will be shifted starting Oct. 17 to the road’s north side onto newly placed and temporary asphalt through the intersection at Lindsay Road and to the west on Germann Road.

Whataburger is opening a location in south Chandler. (Alexa D'Angelo/Community Impact Newspaper)
Whataburger coming to Chandler; median home prices continue to soar in Gilbert and more top area news

Read the top business and community news from the past week from the Chandler and Gilbert areas.

Groundbreaking ceremony
Dignity Health, Kindred Healthcare break ground on freestanding rehabilitation hospital in Gilbert

Dignity Health and Kindred Healthcare broke ground Oct. 13 on Dignity Health East Valley Rehabilitation Hospital-Gilbert, which the partners hope will open in the fourth quarter of 2022.

Copenhagen Imports exterior
Copenhagen Imports opens its doors in Gilbert

The store sells contemporary and modern furniture for home and office spaces.

Tyler Moore
Higley USD officials demonstrate bond, override uses

Higley USD officials presented before the governing board Oct. 13 how the district has used its maintenance and operations override funds and reallocated bond money from the 2019 election.

A Chandler landmark is getting a new home, according to a news release from the city of Chandler. (Courtesy Chandler Museum)
Chandler plane landmark moving to veterans park; selfie museum opens in Gilbert and more area news

Read the latest business and community news from the Chandler and Gilbert areas.

Gilbert Public Schools governing board at study session
Governing board approves Gilbert Public Schools’ annual financial report

The district's annual financial report is required by state statute and is meant to disclose budgetary performance to the public.

Howler's Restaurant & Sports Bar originally opened in Gilbert in July 2020. (Tom Blodgett/Community Impact Newspaper)
Howler’s Restaurant & Sports Bar explains reasoning for closing Gilbert location

Corporate group says changed lease terms and CEO's health condition led to decision

August residential real estate data for Gilbert ZIP codes
Median home prices continue to soar throughout Gilbert

Here is what you need to know about Gilbert's residential real estate market from September 2021.

Pose Selfie Museum entrance
Pose Selfie Museum now open at SanTan Village

The studio provides 35 interactive backdrops, selfie light stands and props for people to capture selfie photos.

Val Vista Drive street sign
Val Vista Drive intersections projects delayed for deliveries

Construction was to start in September, but the town is waiting to hear what the anticipated delivery times are for the street lights

Owner Brian Morris sits on a P.K. Ripper, one of only 250 of its type ever made, at Freeride Bike Co. (Tom Blodgett/Community Impact Newspaper)
Freeride Bike Co. owner’s passion becomes business in Gilbert; Chandler's Bashas' acquired by Raley's Holding Co. and more top area news

Read the top business and community news from the past week from the Gilbert and Chandler areas.