Gilbert Town Council to consider rebranding of Elliot District Park facility as Cactus Yards

These logos will go before Town Council on Oct. 18 to be considered as part of the rebranding effort of Elliot District Park's ballfields facility into Cactus Yards.

Cactus Yards will be the new name for Elliot District Park's fields facility if a proposal before the Town Council on Thursday meets it approval.

The rebranding comes as the town continues with refurbishment efforts and prepares to reopen the facility, likely in February, as part of its parks portfolio.

Big League Dreams USA, which runs 10 other similar sports parks in California, Texas and Las Vegas, once privately ran the facility.

It closed in July 2017 because of the town’s safety concerns about crumbling concrete and unstable outfield walls. The town then voted to terminate Big League Dreams' contract in October 2017.

A public park

The town plans to run the facility as a public park, interim Parks and Recreation Director Robert Carmona said, but it wants to compete to host private tournaments, just as Big League Dreams and other municipalities do.

The rebranding is part of an effort to give the park and a new look and feel, Carmona said. Officials engaged with a marketing group in the effort.

"As we were bouncing around names and logos and colors, we really liked the idea of Cactus Yards," Carmona said. "I think we all know the Cactus League [Major League Baseball spring training] is a very important Arizona stronghold based on the area. Then using the yards concept, a popular baseball term whether it's used
for a park or home runs. We all liked the way it felt to say, 'Cactus Yards.'"

Prominence

The name, logo and color scheme will be prominent throughout the park, Carmona said.

The facility features eight ballfields, two restaurants, an indoor soccer facility, batting cages and playground.

Craft Culinary Concepts, which also is being presented to the council tonight for approval as the vendor to run the restaurants, is looking to incorporate the theme into the restaurants' concepts, Carmona said.

Craft Culinary Concepts mostly does food for sports stadiums and events, such as Arizona Cardinals games, the Fiesta Bowl, the Rose Bowl and the Barrett Jackson Auto Auction.

Tournament-public use mix

The facility is ideal for tournament play, Carmona said, and it frequently would be used as such on weekends and holidays. In fact, he said the town has interest in bookings for tournaments on 90 percent of the weekends after it opens.

Still, the park will not be run exclusively that way, he said.

"The biggest thing we wanted to do is take it away from [being] more of a special-interest park into a balance of that special interest for the tournament-type facility, but also have a community park field where we have balanced programming throughout the week and opportunities and recreation classes for youth and adults and leagues."

To fit the needs of the community better, the park could expand into sports such as kickball and frisbee, Carmona said.

Also before council

Other items involving Elliot District Park before the council on Thursday include:

• an agreement to allow the Arizona Diamondbacks to refurbish the scoreboard at the field’s Chase Field replica field;

• installation of artificial turf in the indoor soccer pavilion and in areas between the ballfields; and

• increasing a contract amount with Shade ‘N Net by $200,528.20 to allow for safety netting and shade structures.

The Town Council meets at 6:30 p.m. Oct. 18 in chambers at the Municipal I building, 50 E. Civic Center Drive.
By Tom Blodgett
Raised in Arizona, Tom Blodgett has spent 30 years in journalism in Arizona and is the editor of the Gilbert edition of Community Impact Newspaper. He is a graduate of Arizona State University, where he now serves as an instructional professional in the Walter Cronkite School of Journalism and Mass Communication and editorial adviser to The State Press, the university's independent student media outlet.

HD South
Denise Lopez appointed HD South chief

Denise Lopez replaces Kayla Kolar, who left in 2020 to become the executive director of House of Refuge, as HD South's president and CEO.

Western Canal
Gilbert officials wanted to avoid land acquisitions along Western Canal, staff tells residents

When Gilbert staff first addressed the problem of a deteriorating sewer along the Western Canal, they hoped to avoid using eminent domain to acquire land to fix the problem, staff told residents Feb. 25.

Gilbert Public Schools Governing Board Member Lori Wood expresses her concerns about parts of the proposed school calendars for 2022-23 and 2023-24. (Screen shot from YouTube)
Gilbert Public Schools adjusts calendar; downtown Chandler adding business, multifamily and more top area news

Read the top business and community news from Chandler and Gilbert from the past week.

Arizona tourism statistics
State’s tourism struggle greater than Gilbert’s

The tourism industry has been hit hard by COVID-19 statewide, including locally in Gilbert.

Gilbert Public Safety Training Facility
Gilbert opens $85M training facility for growing police, fire forces

Gilbert is ready to open its Public Safety Training Facility under budget and ahead of schedule, officials said, allowing public safety forces to conduct expanded training in town.

Kirk Nelson, Nelson backyard
Residents hoping to save yards prepare to meet with Gilbert Town Council

Neighbors along the Western Canal path between Gilbert and Lindsey roads are hoping a meeting with Gilbert Town Council members can save them from losing their backyards to the town

Higley USD district office
Higley USD high school graduations will head back to campuses

Higley USD is planning for live high school graduations in May, but they will not be held at Arizona State University’s Wells Fargo Arena as they were pre-COVID-19.

The Meeple's Board Game Cafe
The Meeple's Cafe selling its games ahead of closing

The establishment combined food with board game play.

Maricopa County’s election equipment and software passed all tests performed by two independent firms hired to conduct the forensic audit, according to reports by two federally certified Voting System Testing Laboratories. (Courtesy Adobe Stock)
Maricopa County forensic audit of November election finds no issues with equipment, software

Maricopa County’s election equipment and software passed all tests performed by two independent firms hired to conduct the forensic audit.

Lori Wood
Gilbert Public Schools to start earlier, extend breaks beginning in 2022-23 school year

Final calendars await some modifications before approval, but Gilbert Public Schools will start its school year in July when the calendars take effect.

Farmer Boys
Farmer Boys set to open March 1 at Gilbert's City Gate

The 40-year-old California-based chain purchases its ingredients from local farms and purveyors when possible.

Germann Road is being improved to major arterial standards between Mustang Road and Val Vista Drive. (Courtesy Adobe Stock)
Left turns off limits from Lindsay to Germann through March 31 in Gilbert

The restriction is part of road work on Germann Road in which the road will be improved to major arterial roadway standards.