Summer road work continues in Gilbert's Heritage District

Road closures and lane restrictions have been commonplace this year in the Heritage District of Gilbert.

Vaughn work area
Pipeline work
Road work scheduled for the summer to avoid peak tourist season continues in Gilbert's Heritage District.

Much of the work is at the intersection of Vaughn Avenue and Gilbert Road, as detailed in information from the town's project teams.

Work on the south side of Vaughn Avenue involves removing on-street parking, constructing wider sidewalks and providing additional turn movements on Vaughn Avenue for future access to the parking garage. To accommodate this and allow pedestrian movement on the south side of Vaughn Avenue, eastbound traffic on Vaughn, east of Gilbert Road, is not permitted for another two weeks.

Similar work has started on the north side of Vaughn Avenue, west of Gilbert Road, but no lane traffic has been closed for that as pedestrians still have access on the south side of the street.

Pipeline work

Crews are installing a pipeline west of Gilbert Road in two places: northwest of Vaughn and Ash avenues and southwest of Oak and Washington. The work is going on from 5 a.m. to 1 p.m., but businesses and residents still have access to the area with flaggers assisting in traffic control.

On-street parking is not permitted in those work areas. The projects are scheduled to be completed in October.

Parking structure

The Heritage District Parking Structure 2, north of Vaughn Avenue and east of Gilbert Road, remains under construction with an expected completion of January 2019. It will have 600 spaces when completed.

The nature of the work and the outside temperatures require much of the work to be done in the late night and early morning hours intermittently in the next couple months. However, no heavy machinery or equipment is used to do that work.

A project hotline is available to residents and businesses with questions at 480-898-4090.
By Tom Blodgett

Editor, Gilbert

Raised in Arizona, Tom Blodgett has spent more than 30 years in journalism in Arizona and joined Community Impact Newspaper in July 2018 to launch the Gilbert edition. He is a graduate of Arizona State University, where he served as an instructional professional in the Walter Cronkite School of Journalism and Mass Communication from 2005-19 and remains editorial adviser to The State Press, the university's independent student media outlet.

Gov. Doug Ducey said Arizona law prohibiting mask mandates remains in place following new guidance from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommending all individuals—including fully vaccinated individuals—wear masks in K-12 schools. (Courtesy Adobe Stock)
Gov. Ducey reaffirms law prohibiting mask mandates following updated guidance from CDC

Gov. Doug Ducey said Arizona law prohibiting mask mandates remains in place following new guidance from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommending all individuals—including fully vaccinated individuals—wear masks in K-12 schools. 

Shane McCord
Gilbert Public Schools to follow state mandates on masks

Face masks will be optional, and schools will be vigilant about student and staff behavior regarding any mask bullying, GPS Superintendent Shane McCord told the governing board July 27

Gilbert Ambulance Transportation Division members, ambulance
Gilbert takes over ambulance service in town

Gilbert residents requiring ambulance transportation are being served through the Gilbert Fire & Rescue Department starting this week.

The CDC reversed its masking guidance for fully vaccinated individuals in response to the transmissibility of the delta variant of COVID-19 in a press conference July 27. (Community Impact Newspaper staff)
NEW CDC GUIDANCE: All individuals should wear masks in K-12 schools, including those who are fully vaccinated

CDC Director Dr. Rochelle Walensky announced the new masking recommendations during a July 27 press conference.

Liam Chase, Hammer & Strings Conservatory
Hammer & Strings Conservatory brings credentialed instructors for music education to Gilbert

From the iconic classical compositions to the melodic sound of a wind chime, music can be recognized anywhere. Karali Hunter, owner of Hammer & Strings Conservatory, learned that a quality education in music may be much harder to find.

Gilbert mural
Gilbert asks public for input on land development code

The town of Gilbert is seeking public input as it works on updating the town’s land development code.

Now open sign
Three salons now open in Gilbert

Here are three salons that have opened recently in Gilbert.

Dawn Foley, Coronado Elementary School students
Q&A: New Higley USD superintendent talks about new school year

New Higley USD Superintendent Dawn Foley answers questions ahead of the start of the new school year July 26

Gilbert sold home and real estate data
Gilbert riding strong seller’s market

The Gilbert residential real estate market has mirrored the trends around much of the nation as sales prices soared in the winter and early spring, local data shows.

Buono's Pizza Gilbert serves New York-style pizza. (Tom Blodgett/Community Impact Newspaper)
Buono’s Pizza Gilbert opens; low inventory leads to rising home prices in Chandler and more top area news

Read the top business and community news from the past week from the Chandler and Gilbert areas.

Higley USD District Office
Former Higley USD Superintendent Denise Birdwell, local contractor employees indicted relating to construction projects

Criminal indictments have been issued against a former Higley USD superintendent and three other people who are being charged with financial crimes, according to the State Auditor General’s Office.