Park University hustles to prepare for students as opening nears

The University Building in the Heritage District has opened its doors to students from Park University and the University of Arizona.

Park University Classroom
Park University study space
The new tenant in Gilbert’s University Building is busy working to attract potential students while hustling to prepare for its October opening.

The Gilbert campus will be the third Arizona location and 42nd nationwide for Park University, which is based in the Kansas City suburb of Parkville, Missouri. The other two Arizona locations are at Luke and Davis-Monthan Air Force bases. Park has a strong, historic relationship with the military.

Classes are scheduled to begin Oct. 15, which aligns with the university’s Fall II semester. Offerings will be for evening students this academic year.

Course options will include undergraduate classes in liberal arts, business and criminal justice, and graduate classes in public administration, education technology and business. Several concentrations in each area will be offered.

Park University will have a more conventional calendar with traditional and nontraditional students in the 2019-20 academic year, according to Executive Director Jeff Ehrlich.

More students expected

Enrollment sits at 12 students with more in the process of enrollment. Ehrlich said the college set a goal of about 50 students when classes start and expects to gain more students in the future. He told Community Impact Newspaper Aug. 30 that the school is on track for meeting the initial 50-student goal.

Athletics should help growth too as the Park Buccaneers will compete in the National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics. The NAIA is a governing body similar to the National Collegiate Athletic Association but generally for smaller schools.

University President Greg Gunderson sent Jeff Ehrlich and his wife, Donna, the campus’ academic director, who are both experienced with Park University operations, to open the Gilbert center.

Gaining accreditations

Jeff Ehrlich said Park University has received accreditation from the Higher Learning Commission, an independent corporation founded in 1895 as one of six regional accreditors in the U.S. The commission accredits degree-granting secondary institutions, such as Park University in the North Central Region, which includes Arizona.

The Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs, which focuses on recognizing teacher excellence in business, determining student outcomes and a continuous improvement model, accredits the school’s business program.

Under the continuous improvement model universities like Park are committed to ensuring their business programs will give students the skills employers desire, Jeff Ehrlich said.

In the community

The college has established ties to local high schools and will take Advanced Placement and some high school class credits. They have also sought agreements with the Maricopa County Community College District to take those schools’ hours in transfer, which would go toward building a flexible education model at a “reasonable price point,” Jeff Ehrlich said.

Hiring is taking place for faculty and staff as well as for coaches since Athletic Director Steve Wilson came on board from the main campus.

University Building

Park University occupies the first floor of the University Building, which accounts for about 11,000 square feet in the 89,000-square-foot building. It does have a right of refusal on other tenants as space becomes available, which gives the school room for expected future growth.

Park will pay the town nearly $800,000 in rent for three years in the building, originally occupied by St. Xavier University of Chicago for less than a year in 2015-16.

Jeff Ehrlich said he does not worry that low enrollment will cancel any classes. He said a “Pirate Patch” program—an homage to the campus’ mascot, the Pirates—allows students to come together on campus and remotely attend a lecture from a professor at home or one of the other satellite campuses. Students from several campuses can be in the same class that way.

“Gilbert did a fabulous job,” Jeff Ehrlich said. “This is the most technologically sound building—one of the best educational facilities I have ever seen.”
By Tom Blodgett

Editor, Gilbert

Raised in Arizona, Tom Blodgett has spent more than 30 years in journalism in Arizona and joined Community Impact Newspaper in July 2018 to launch the Gilbert edition. He is a graduate of Arizona State University, where he served as an instructional professional in the Walter Cronkite School of Journalism and Mass Communication from 2005-19 and remains editorial adviser to The State Press, the university's independent student media outlet.

Modern Law Express door
Three business that have opened in Gilbert

Here are three businesses that have opened in the past three months in Gilbert.

Gov. Doug Ducey said Arizona law prohibiting mask mandates remains in place following new guidance from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommending all individuals—including fully vaccinated individuals—wear masks in K-12 schools. (Courtesy Adobe Stock)
Gov. Ducey reaffirms law prohibiting mask mandates following updated guidance from CDC

Gov. Doug Ducey said Arizona law prohibiting mask mandates remains in place following new guidance from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommending all individuals—including fully vaccinated individuals—wear masks in K-12 schools. 

Shane McCord
Gilbert Public Schools to follow state mandates on masks

Face masks will be optional, and schools will be vigilant about student and staff behavior regarding any mask bullying, GPS Superintendent Shane McCord told the governing board July 27

Gilbert Ambulance Transportation Division members, ambulance
Gilbert takes over ambulance service in town

Gilbert residents requiring ambulance transportation are being served through the Gilbert Fire & Rescue Department starting this week.

The CDC reversed its masking guidance for fully vaccinated individuals in response to the transmissibility of the delta variant of COVID-19 in a press conference July 27. (Community Impact Newspaper staff)
NEW CDC GUIDANCE: All individuals should wear masks in K-12 schools, including those who are fully vaccinated

CDC Director Dr. Rochelle Walensky announced the new masking recommendations during a July 27 press conference.

Liam Chase, Hammer & Strings Conservatory
Hammer & Strings Conservatory brings credentialed instructors for music education to Gilbert

From the iconic classical compositions to the melodic sound of a wind chime, music can be recognized anywhere. Karali Hunter, owner of Hammer & Strings Conservatory, learned that a quality education in music may be much harder to find.

Gilbert mural
Gilbert asks public for input on land development code

The town of Gilbert is seeking public input as it works on updating the town’s land development code.

Now open sign
Three salons now open in Gilbert

Here are three salons that have opened recently in Gilbert.

Dawn Foley, Coronado Elementary School students
Q&A: New Higley USD superintendent talks about new school year

New Higley USD Superintendent Dawn Foley answers questions ahead of the start of the new school year July 26

Gilbert sold home and real estate data
Gilbert riding strong seller’s market

The Gilbert residential real estate market has mirrored the trends around much of the nation as sales prices soared in the winter and early spring, local data shows.

Buono's Pizza Gilbert serves New York-style pizza. (Tom Blodgett/Community Impact Newspaper)
Buono’s Pizza Gilbert opens; low inventory leads to rising home prices in Chandler and more top area news

Read the top business and community news from the past week from the Chandler and Gilbert areas.