Gilbert Town Council names two parks under construction

The open land from the southwest corner of Queen Creek and Higley roads will become Gilbert Regional Park.

Though members expressed little warmth for the choices, the Gilbert Town Council named the two parks currently under construction.

The larger park will keep its previous designation as Gilbert Regional Park. What was once called Rittenhouse District Park will be Desert Sky Park.

The decision came in an Aug. 2 Town Council meeting that capped a naming process taking nearly four months.

Residents offered 245 suggestions during a month-long submission period. The council whittled the field to two finalists for each park. The Parks and Recreation Department then allowed people to vote for their favorites.

Desert Sky Park

Desert Sky Park received 73 percent of the vote against Power Sports Park for the site in the Rittenhouse Basin, east of the Maricopa Floodway canal between Pecos and Williams Field roads. Ground broke June 13 on phase one of the park. The $62 million park is expected to have 16 multipurpose fields, a lake and playground on 115 acres at buildout.

The town expects to open Desert Sky Park in September 2019.

Gilbert Regional Park

Gilbert Regional Park defeated Gilbert Centennial Park—a name posed because the town celebrates its centennial in 2020—by 11 votes among nearly 2,800 cast. Some council members expressed concern about the "vanilla" name, as Councilman Jared Taylor called it.

However, council members Jordan Ray and Brigette Peterson also pointed out that Chandler has its own Centennial Park 5 miles west of the Gilbert site, which could create confusion.

“At some point down the road, we may be looking at this from a branding perspective,” Mayor Jenn Daniels said. “It might be easier to rebrand Gilbert Regional Park than it would be to rebrand Gilbert Centennial Park if we ever acquired a sponsor or something.”

The town broke ground May 29 on the park. It is expected to open in June with pickleball and tennis courts, an accessible play structure and a splash pad. The site at Queen Creek and Higley roads is expected to reach 272 acres at buildout and cost $100 million.
By Tom Blodgett

Editor, Gilbert

Raised in Arizona, Tom Blodgett has spent more than 30 years in journalism in Arizona and joined Community Impact Newspaper in July 2018 to launch the Gilbert edition. He is a graduate of Arizona State University, where he served as an instructional professional in the Walter Cronkite School of Journalism and Mass Communication from 2005-19 and remains editorial adviser to The State Press, the university's independent student media outlet.

Modern Law Express door
Three business that have opened in Gilbert

Here are three businesses that have opened in the past three months in Gilbert.

Gov. Doug Ducey said Arizona law prohibiting mask mandates remains in place following new guidance from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommending all individuals—including fully vaccinated individuals—wear masks in K-12 schools. (Courtesy Adobe Stock)
Gov. Ducey reaffirms law prohibiting mask mandates following updated guidance from CDC

Gov. Doug Ducey said Arizona law prohibiting mask mandates remains in place following new guidance from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommending all individuals—including fully vaccinated individuals—wear masks in K-12 schools. 

Shane McCord
Gilbert Public Schools to follow state mandates on masks

Face masks will be optional, and schools will be vigilant about student and staff behavior regarding any mask bullying, GPS Superintendent Shane McCord told the governing board July 27

Gilbert Ambulance Transportation Division members, ambulance
Gilbert takes over ambulance service in town

Gilbert residents requiring ambulance transportation are being served through the Gilbert Fire & Rescue Department starting this week.

The CDC reversed its masking guidance for fully vaccinated individuals in response to the transmissibility of the delta variant of COVID-19 in a press conference July 27. (Community Impact Newspaper staff)
NEW CDC GUIDANCE: All individuals should wear masks in K-12 schools, including those who are fully vaccinated

CDC Director Dr. Rochelle Walensky announced the new masking recommendations during a July 27 press conference.

Liam Chase, Hammer & Strings Conservatory
Hammer & Strings Conservatory brings credentialed instructors for music education to Gilbert

From the iconic classical compositions to the melodic sound of a wind chime, music can be recognized anywhere. Karali Hunter, owner of Hammer & Strings Conservatory, learned that a quality education in music may be much harder to find.

Gilbert mural
Gilbert asks public for input on land development code

The town of Gilbert is seeking public input as it works on updating the town’s land development code.

Now open sign
Three salons now open in Gilbert

Here are three salons that have opened recently in Gilbert.

Dawn Foley, Coronado Elementary School students
Q&A: New Higley USD superintendent talks about new school year

New Higley USD Superintendent Dawn Foley answers questions ahead of the start of the new school year July 26

Gilbert sold home and real estate data
Gilbert riding strong seller’s market

The Gilbert residential real estate market has mirrored the trends around much of the nation as sales prices soared in the winter and early spring, local data shows.

Buono's Pizza Gilbert serves New York-style pizza. (Tom Blodgett/Community Impact Newspaper)
Buono’s Pizza Gilbert opens; low inventory leads to rising home prices in Chandler and more top area news

Read the top business and community news from the past week from the Chandler and Gilbert areas.