Elliot District Park gets Gilbert Town Council approval for FTE hires

Construction crews continue repairing the former Big League Dreams facility at Elliot District Park.

The Town Council is moving forward with plans to have Gilbert take over operations of the former Big League Dreams facility.

The council voted 5-2 on Aug. 16 to approve the hiring of 20.75 full-time equivalents to staff the facility in Elliot District Park. FTEs are positions that when added together equal the hours worked by full-time employees.

The council previously approved two positions in June. The hires would bring staffing to 12.5 FTEs in maintenance and 10.25 in recreation positions. They would allow the town to reopen the facility.

It closed in July 2017 because of the town's safety concerns. Those concerns included crumbling concrete in the grandstands and aesthetic walls—designed to make each field look like a classic Major League ballpark—that were improperly anchored and susceptible to blow over in a wind storm.

The town charged that Big League Dreams failed to meet its responsibility of maintaining the facility. The company and town remain locked in litigation over the issue.

Part of town's ballfields

The city has indicated it will take over facility operations and run it as part of its inventory of ballfields.

“We did inherit a failed model, and that's been difficult for us and something that we've worked really hard for many years now to get out from underneath,” Mayor Jenn Daniels said. “We own the facility, and we need to use it to its maximum capacity, and that's the goal of our council.”

Daniels said the council toured the facility to learn its amenities as construction crews worked on repairs. It also sought to understand how those amenities could be used differently by the city to benefit residents. That could include, for example, opening it without a gate fee on some or most days.

“(We want to allow), especially the youth of Gilbert, to go and be inspired by a facility that was built to inspire children, specifically to help them see themselves bigger than they than they might feel sometimes,” she said. “So I don't see this as necessarily being a business. I see this as being a park.”

Council Member Eddie Cook pointed to the park being booked for tournaments for 48 of 52 weekends after it reopens. That, he said, gives the park an economic development effect.

Council members' concerns

However, Council Member Victor Peterson said the savings to taxpayers he hoped to see from taking over facility operation has not materialized. He pointed to data from the town’s plans for running the facility to draw the conclusion. He cited an annual million dollar structural loss when the facility reopens.

However, interim Parks and Recreation Director Robert Carmona said the town should offset some losses with other revenue. Sponsorships are an example.

Without those sponsorships secured, however, Council Member Jared Taylor said he thought it unwise to have taxpayers underwrite the bill.

Taylor also said the purpose of such a premium facility was more of a “pay-to-play” model that competed with private business. He said that should not be what the town is doing.

The facility features eight ballfields, two restaurants, an indoor soccer facility and batting cages.
By Tom Blodgett

Editor, Gilbert

Raised in Arizona, Tom Blodgett has spent more than 30 years in journalism in Arizona and joined Community Impact Newspaper in July 2018 to launch the Gilbert edition. He is a graduate of Arizona State University, where he served as an instructional professional in the Walter Cronkite School of Journalism and Mass Communication from 2005-19 and remains editorial adviser to The State Press, the university's independent student media outlet.

Gilbert sold home and real estate data
Gilbert riding strong seller’s market

The Gilbert residential real estate market has mirrored the trends around much of the nation as sales prices soared in the winter and early spring, local data shows.

Buono's Pizza Gilbert serves New York-style pizza. (Tom Blodgett/Community Impact Newspaper)
Buono’s Pizza Gilbert opens; low inventory leads to rising home prices in Chandler and more top area news

Read the top business and community news from the past week from the Chandler and Gilbert areas.

Higley USD District Office
Former Higley USD Superintendent Denise Birdwell, local contractor employees indicted relating to construction projects

Criminal indictments have been issued against a former Higley USD superintendent and three other people who are being charged with financial crimes, according to the State Auditor General’s Office.

Cafe Rio Mexican Grill
Cafe Rio has opened second location in Gilbert in past three months

The restaurant serves made-from-scratch Mexican food with fresh ingredients

School crosswalk with crossing guard and two students
Drivers reminded to slow down in school zones as students return

Gilbert has 58 public schools in the three districts that serve the town, with all of them having designated school crossings

Dawn Foley
Initial Higley USD test scores higher than state averages

The data was presented at the district’s initial board meeting for fiscal year 2021-22, the first meeting under which Dawn Foley is the district’s permanent superintendent.

Campus ushers in new era for Arizona College Prep High School

July 21 marks the start of the school year and the opening of Arizona College Prep High School—the district’s newest campus—which will house the Arizona College Prep students and staff in a state-of-the-art high school facility

Q&A: Chandler USD interim superintendent shares goals for district ahead of school year

Chandler USD interim superintendent Frank Narducci answers Community Impact Newspaper's questions ahead of the start of the school year July 21.

recycling bins
Gilbert launches expansion of recycling pilot program

Gilbert is asking residents to only put four types of items into recycling bins for collection: plastic bottles, jugs and jars; metal food and beverage containers; paper; and flattened cardboard.

The freeway expansion project will occur across 11 miles of east- and westbound I-19 between Loop 202 and I-17, including the Broadway Curve between Baseline Road and 40th Street. (Tom Blodgett/Community Impact Newspaper)
Work to begin on I-10 Broadway Curve project July 23

The first phase of work for the Arizona Department of Transportation’s I-10 Broadway Curve improvement project is set to begin late July 23 with a weekend closure of westbound I-10.

An ice cream shop, a restaurant with a gaming twist and more are coming soon to Chandler. (Community Impact Newspaper)
6 businesses coming to Chandler; sushi shop opens in Gilbert and more Phoenix-area news

Read the latest business and community events from the Chandler and Gilbert areas.

Buono's Pizza slice
Buono’s Pizza Gilbert opens on Williams Field Road

Buono's Pizza Gilbert serves New York-style pizza.