Belle Meade homeowners to see property tax changes in 2019-20

Image description
Belle Meade homeowners to see property tax changes in 2019-20
Image description
Belle Meade homeowners to see property tax changes in 2019-20
Homeowners in the Greater Nashville area will begin receiving property tax bills in the mail in the first week of October, according to Metro Nashville. While Metro Nashville tax rates will stay the same, tax rates in Belle Meade will increase for the second time in four years.

This increase is due in part to the state elimination of the Hall Tax, an income tax created in 1929 that taxes interest paid on bonds and other investments. As part of Tennessee’s IMPROVE Act, the Hall Tax will be decreased by 1% annually until 2021, when it will be eliminated completely.

While the tax does not affect all homeowners in Davidson County, approximately 1,000 homeowners in the Belle Meade area pay some level of Hall Tax, according to the city of Belle Meade. Of that revenue, 37.5% goes to the local city in which it was paid, while the remaining 62.5% goes to the state.

According to budget documents from Belle Meade, Hall Tax revenue has historically made up at least half of city revenue, meaning in the future, the city will either have to raise taxes again or decrease expenses to avoid a deficit.

“Losing the Hall Tax is a loss no matter how you look at it,” Belle Meade Mayor James Hunt said during budget talks this summer. “We cannot recur that loss through any other normal means other than raising property taxes.”
By Wendy Sturges
A Houston native and graduate of St. Edward's University in Austin, Wendy Sturges has worked as a community journalist covering local government, health care, business and development since 2011. She has worked with Community Impact since 2015 as a reporter and editor and moved to Tennessee in 2019.


MOST RECENT

In addition to bars, pedal taverns and other "transpotainment" vehicles were shut down by the city of Nashville. (Wendy Sturges/Community Impact Newspaper)
Franklin cites individuals on party buses coming from Nashville and more area news

Read the latest Franklin and Brentwood news as well as updates from Williamson County.

The U.S. Census Bureau will halt its counting operation a month earlier than expected. (Courtesy U.S. Census Bureau)
U.S. Census Bureau to halt counting operation a month earlier than expected

The self-response deadline has moved up to Sept. 30.

Little Gourmand owner Guenievre Milliner opened the first location in Green Hills in 2014. The new summer menu features Brittany, a tuna salad baguette sandwich made with onion, capers and mayo. (Photos by Dylan Skye Aycock/Community Impact Newspaper)
Authentic French pastries, to-go meals in spotlight at Little Gourmand's new Berry Hill location

Having had success selling croissants, brioches, specialty imported products and other items at the original location, Little Gourmand owner Guenievre Milliner said she was inspired to open a new patisserie française—a French pastry shop.

There are now 4,268 active cases of coronavirus in Davidson County, a decrease of 301 since yesterday. (Community Impact staff)
Davidson County coronavirus cases rise by 80 in 24 hours

There are now 4,268 active cases of coronavirus in Davidson County, a decrease of 301 since yesterday.

Liberation Yoga Nashville has permanently closed its brick-and-mortar studio in 12 South. (Courtesy Adobe Stock)
Liberation Yoga Nashville closes brick-and-mortar studio in 12 South

The 12 South yoga studio will continue to offer virtual classes.

There are now 4,612 active cases of coronavirus in the county, a decrease of 50 since yesterday. (Community Impact staff)
Davidson County coronavirus cases rise by more than 300 in 24 hours

There are now 4,612 active cases of coronavirus in the county, a decrease of 50 since yesterday.

In addition to bars, pedal taverns and other "transpotainment" vehicles regulated by the city must close. (Wendy Sturges/Community Impact Newspaper)
Metro Nashville's ban on 'transpotainment' vehicles now in effect

All pedal pubs and party buses must cease operations in the city, even if they do not serve alcohol.

Confederate symbols face backlash, police update use-of-force policy: News from Nashville

Read recent Nashville-area news—both print and online coverage.