The national search for the superintendent began in late January after the school board approved the timeline for the search as well as a set of qualifications desired in candidates. The Tennessee School Boards Association is facilitating the search.
Under the timeline, the new superintendent will assume the position no later than June 1. The TSBA will narrow down the list of candidates to five on Feb. 25.
In March, the school board will hold public interviews with each candidate, followed by visits to the communities of the top two finalists. The superintendent is expected to be announced by the end of March, according to the timeline.
Here is the full list of applicants:
- Adrienne Battle, Metro Nashville Public Schools interim director of schools
- Christopher Bonn, Fort Sage Unified School District superintendent (Herlong, California)
- Ann Bueche, King George Co. Schools supervisor of special services (Virginia)
- Bernard Chandler, Birmingham City Schools instructional superintendent (Alabama)
- Benjamin Edmondson, GEM Advocacy Group (Canton, Michigan)
- Brenda Elliott, DC Public Schools chief of school improvement and supports and chief of equity (Maryland)
- Versie Hamlett, Humboldt City Schools director of schools (Humboldt, Tennessee)
- Brian Kingsley, Charlotte Mecklenburg Schools chief academic officer (North Carolina)
- Chris Marczak, Maury County Schools director of schools (Columbia, Tennessee)
- Richard Miller, Santa Ana Unified School District former superintendent (California)
- Thomas Parker, Allentown School District superintendent (Pennsylvania)
- Shelley Redinger, Spokane Public Schools superintendent (Washington)
- Roderick Richmond, Shelby County Schools executive director of student support services (Tennessee)
- Willis Smith, Hinds County Schools, Utica Elementary Middle School principal (Mississippi)
- Daniel Snowberger, Durango School District, superintendent (Colorado)
- Joe Toomey, Mobile County Public School System, Murphy High School principal (Mobile, Alabama)
- Stephen Williams, Metro Nashville Public Schools W.A. Bass Learning Center assistant principal
- Alexis Wilson, Balsz School District assistant superintendent of administrative services (Scottsdale, Arizona)
- Janet Womack, senior vice president of education practice/consultant (Texas)