According to the Tennessee Department of Revenue, from 12:01 a.m. on July 30 to 11:59 p.m. on Aug. 1, several items will be exempt from sales tax.
Eligible items include:
- clothing items and shoes under $100;
- school supplies under $100 such as binders, backpacks, crayons, paper, pens, pencils, rulers, and art supplies;
- computers for personal use priced $1,500 or less;
- laptops for personal use priced $1,500 or less; and
- tablet computers for personal use priced $1,500 or less.
Items not exempt from sales tax include household appliances, software, jewelry, handbags, and sports or recreational equipment.
In addition to the school supplies sales tax holiday, the state will also hold a tax-free week from July 30-Aug. 5 on food, prepared food and food ingredients. Alcohol, tobacco, candy and dietary supplements will not be exempt from sales tax, according to the department.
See more about the sales tax holidays here.