How it works: What is the gas tax used for?

What is the gas tax used for?

What is the gas tax used for?

On average, Tennessee drivers pay approximately $300 annually in gas taxes, depending on how many miles they drive per year and the average miles per gallon their vehicles get, according to the Tennessee Department of Transportation. From this, 90% of funds go back to public roads, including construction, maintenance, preservation and grants for road projects. The remaining 10% is used for administration and other costs.

Beginning July 1, this total will include $0.26 in state taxes, following the passage of House Bill 534, which was signed into law in 2017. Prior to the bill, the state tax rate was $0.24 per gallon and had been since 1989.

This, combined with the federal gas tax rate of $0.184, makes for a total rate of $0.444 per gallon.

Compared with the rest of the country, Tennessee drivers pay nearly 10 cents less per gallon than the national average, and the state ranks 31st in the nation for gas taxes, according to TDOT.


MOST RECENT

Here are the latest coronavirus updates from the Tennessee Department of Health. (Community Impact Newspaper staff)
Coronavirus cases in Tennessee rise by 341 in 24 hours

Nearly 410,000 tests have been conducted statewide as of May 27.

The annual St. Jude Rock 'n' Roll Nashville Marathon & 1/2 Marathon will now be held the weekend before Thanksgiving. (Courtesy St. Jude Rock 'n' Roll Nashville Marathon & 1/2 Marathon)
St. Jude Rock 'n' Roll marathon in Nashville rescheduled for November

The annual race was originally scheduled for April 25-26.

Construction on I-440 in Nashville is set to wrap up this summer. (Courtesy Fotolia)
ROAD CLOSURE: I-440 at I-65 ramp in Nashville to close May 29-June 1

Construction on I-440 in Nashville is set to wrap up this summer.

Metro Nashville Public Schools will offer its summer learning program in an online-only format this year as a result of COVID-19. (Courtesy Pixabay)
Virtual summer learning and more: News from Nashville

Read the latest news from Community Impact Newspaper's coverage of the Nashville area.

Metro Nashville Public Schools will offer its summer learning program in an online-only format this year as a result of COVID-19. (Courtesy Pixabay)
Metro Nashville Public Schools to launch virtual summer learning program June 1

Metro Nashville Public Schools will offer its summer learning program in an online-only format this year as a result of COVID-19.

 (Community Impact staff)
Coronavirus cases in Tennessee rise by 462 in 24 hours

Cases numbers rose by 2.2% since May 24.

The Mall at Green Hills reopened to the public in mid-May. (Dylan Skye Aycock/Community Impact Newspaper)
ROUNDUP: Businesses reopen in Metro Nashville

Here are three updates on the reopenings of Nashville businesses, including Nordstrom in The Mall at Green Hills.

(Graphic by Community Impact Newspaper)
Coronavirus cases in Tennessee rise by 356, surpassing 20,000 total cases

More than 380,000 tests have been conducted statewide.

In a Williamson County School Board meeting May 18, Superintendent Jason Golden said the school district was planning for three different scenarios when looking at when schools reopen this fall in light of the ongoing coronavirus pandemic. (Courtesy Pixabay)
Restaurant reopenings, rising unemployment and 3 other Nashville stories

Here are five recent updates from Metro Nashville, on plans for school in the fall semester, info on the economic impact of coronavirus and more.

Here are the coronavirus updates to know May 22. (Community Impact staff)
Coronavirus cases in Tennessee rise by 433 in past 24 hours

Here are the coronavirus updates to know May 22.