Icy roads are not the only hazard Montgomery County residents should be wary of during cold weather. House fires caused by unattended space heaters is a frequent occurrence in winter months, said Miranda Hahf, senior planner for the Montgomery County Office of Homeland Security and Emergency Management.
Here are some space heater safety tips from the OHSEM:
- Keep space heaters on a hard, level, non-flammable surface that is at least three feet away from any object.
- Plug space heaters directly into the wall, do not use extension cords.
- Turn space heaters off when leaving the house or going to bed.
- Never leave space heaters unattended.
- Keep a special eye on space heaters around children and pets.
- Look for space heaters that turn off automatically if it is knocked over.
Hahf also said Montgomery County residents should check on their neighbors and remember the four p’s: people, pets, pipes and plants.
Click here for more Community Impact tips on how to handle a Texas freeze.