These were the 10 most read Cy-Fair business announcements in 2018

The Cy-Fair community saw lots of new businesses come and go in 2018—from burgers to breweries. These were the 10 most read business announcements on our website this year:

1. Two Cy-Fair restaurateurs purchase The Shack Burger Resort on Telge Road in Cypress

Mark McShaffry, owner of The Backyard Grill on Jones Road, and Brian Sandel, former managing partner of Raising Cane’s in Cy-Fair, jointly purchased The Shack Burger Resort at 12710 Telge Road, Cypress, formerly owned by Joe Duong. The two opened Creekwood Grill at the end of August.

The duo spent several months over the summer renovating the restaurant, which is located in the building that formerly housed P.O.’s Burgers. The menu features a variety of burgers as well as sandwiches, chicken tender plates and tacos.

Read the full story here.

1. 3 tenants confirmed for the new retail center at Hwy. 290 and Cypress Rosehill Road in Cypress

Commercial real estate company SDI Realty announced a new retail center at 14140 Cypress Rosehill Road, Cypress. Broker Jonathan Murphy said the space will host the following three tenants, among others: Potbelly Sandwich Shop, All Floors and More and Navy Federal Credit Union. Read the full story here.

1. City of Houston approves plans for Cypress Costco

At an Aug. 30 meeting, the City of Houston Planning Commission approved initial land plans for an 18-acre site in Cypress where Costco Wholesale will build a new store. The planning commission is a part of Houston’s Department of Planning and Development, which regulates land development within Houston and its extra-territorial jurisdiction, including Cypress. Read the full story here.

4. At Home to open on recently cleared plot near H-E-B off Barker Cypress Road
Developers with Williamsburg Enterprises, which recently announced the signing of Star Furniture & Mattresses to replace a Randalls grocery store on Barker Cypress Road, have made another announcement at the same intersection. Read the full story here.

5. Cypress Trail Hideout opens at historic site on Hempstead Road, collaborating with Pappa Charlies Barbeque
Locals Pat McGinty, Deborah Pijulski and Ray Pijulski are planning to open a new restaurant on a historic plot of land in Cypress. Cypress Trail Hideout opened in April at 25610 Hempstead Road, Cypress. The restaurant features a full-service bar, live music, outdoor games like cornhole, a 4,000-foot patio and food from Pappa Charlies Barbeque. Read the full story here.

6. Ethel Mae Bourbon and Bacon closes its doors indefinitely, The Shack to reopen after renovations
After only being open for a few weeks, Ethel Mae Bourbon and Bacon has closed its doors indefinitely on Barker Cypress Road in Cypress. Owner Joe Duong said he had to close the eatery, which specialized in southern comfort food, due to its proximity to a Kids R Kids Learning Academy. Since the site’s location falls within the City of Houston’s limited purpose city limits, the sale of alcohol is prohibited within 300 feet of a child care facility or private school. Duong said revenue from alcohol sales is needed to keep the restaurant afloat, so operating without the bar is not an option. Read the full story here.

Originally posted Jan. 23

7. 3 new stores open at Houston Premium Outlets in Cypress
Houston Premium Outlets, located at 29300 Hempstead Road, Cypress, is celebrated its 10th anniversary over the summer with upgraded looks, including new features such as food trucks, digital touch directories and three new outlet stores. Read the full story here.

8. Exclusive Furniture going up at Skinner and Jarvis roads in Cypress
Exclusive furniture completed work on a 52,000-square-foot located in November at 25330 Hwy. 290, Cypress. The store offers a range of furniture including sofas, bedrooms sets, mattresses, shelving, recliners, patio furniture, dining tables and home accents. Read the full story here.

9. Klaus Brewing Company opens on Jones Road in Cy-Fair
Klaus Brewing Company opened sometime in September at 10142 Jones Road, Houston. Owner Thomas Lemke has 20 years of amateur brewing experience, and the new brewery focuses on German-style brews. Read the full story here.

10. Local couple celebrates grand opening of Wicked Boxer Brewing
After about nine years of homebrewing and sharing his creations with friends and family, Brian Cain decided he was up for the challenge of opening his own brewery in Cypress alongside his wife, Jamie. Read the full story here.

By Danica Lloyd

Editor, Cy-Fair

Danica joined Community Impact Newspaper as a reporter in 2016. As editor, she continues to cover local government, education, health care, real estate, development, business and transportation in Cy-Fair. Her experience prior to CI includes studying at the Washington Journalism Center and interning at a startup incubator in D.C., serving as editor-in-chief of Union University's student magazine and online newspaper, reporting for The Jackson Sun and freelancing for other publications in Arkansas and Tennessee.