Live music, a wine festival and more: 8 events happening in the Greater Houston area this weekend, Aug. 24-26

From free film screenings to 5K races, Houston has events planned for the whole family this weekend.

Aug. 24: See Charlie Puth live in concert at The Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavilion
Hailee Steinfeld opens for pop star Charlie Puth’s performance. 7:30 p.m. $20-$183. Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavilion, 2005 Lake Robbins Drive, The Woodlands. 281-363-3300. www.woodlandscenter.org

Aug. 24-26: Dine for a cause during Houston Restaurant Weeks
Houston Food Bank’s largest annual fundraiser continues through Sept. 3. Local diners can access special menus for brunch, lunch and dinner at several area eateries A portion of each $20-$45 meal will be used to provide meals at the Houston Food Bank. www.houstonrestaurantweeks.com

Aug. 25: Vote in Harris County’s flood mitigation bond election
Harris County Flood Control District hosts an election for citizens to decide whether to support a $2.5 billion bond referendum including flood mitigation projects and home buyouts. 7 a.m.-7 p.m. Free. www.harrisvotes.com

Aug. 25: Meet up with friends at a wine and food festival 
Texas-based wineries and food vendors serve up samples at the seventh annual event. Local artisans are also on-site offering crafts, jewelry, gifts, handmade soaps and fashion items. 1-8 p.m. $40. Esplanade Plaza, 2600 Navigation Blvd., Houston. 713-332-8265. www.eventbrite.com/7th-annual-wine-food-fest-htx

Aug. 25: Watch “Apollo 13” at Eureka Heights Brewing Co.
The Houston brewery hosts a free screening of “Apollo 13,” the 1995 film starring Tom Hanks, Bill Paxton and Kevin Bacon. 6 p.m. Free. Eureka Heights Brewing Co., 941 W. 18th St., Houston. www.eurekaheights.com

Aug. 25-26: Make your own candles at Love & Make’s workshop
Attendees learn to mix fragrances to custom design soy-wax candles. 10 a.m., 1 p.m., 4 p.m., 7 p.m. (Saturday), 11 a.m., 2 p.m., 5 p.m. (Sunday). $45. Love & Make Pop-Up, 2507 Amherst St., Ste. A124, Houston. www.loveandmake.com

Aug. 26: Run the Bayou Bucket 5K at Rice University
Bayou Bucket 5K hosts the inaugural event and a post-race party featuring food, drinks, music and family-friendly activities. Registration includes one ticket to the University of Houston vs. Rice University football game on Sept. 1. 7:30 a.m. $50 (5K), $25 (Kids K). Rice University, 6100 Main St., Houston. www.bayoubucket5k.com

Aug. 26: Take in a free concert featuring the music of Whitney Houston      
Belinda Davis, alongside a full band and live dancers, pays tribute to Whitney Houston in a free concert. 8-11 p.m. Free. Miller Outdoor Theatre, 6000 Hermann Park Drive, Houston. 281-373-3386. www.milleroutdoortheatre.com

By Danica Lloyd

Editor, Cy-Fair

Danica joined Community Impact Newspaper as a reporter in 2016. As editor, she continues to cover local government, education, health care, real estate, development, business and transportation in Cy-Fair. Her experience prior to CI includes studying at the Washington Journalism Center and interning at a startup incubator in D.C., serving as editor-in-chief of Union University's student magazine and online newspaper, reporting for The Jackson Sun and freelancing for other publications in Arkansas and Tennessee.

<

(Jake Magee/Community Impact Newspaper)
Clear Creek ISD updates: Board members discuss Whitcomb Elementary remodel, staff compensation and benefits July 26

The board approved a number of measures at the July 26 regular board meeting, including the sale of land to League City, spending on graphics services and the design development for Whitcomb Elementary’s $28.3 million remodel.

School supplies will be exempt from the 8.25% sales tax Aug. 6-8. (Courtesy Adobe Stock)
What to know before the statewide tax-free weekend Aug. 6-8

Customers will not have to pay the standard 8.25% sales tax on select clothing, footwear, school supplies and backpacks under $100.

Houston Firefighters
Appeals court rules in favor of union in longstanding Houston firefighters pay parity case

The measure, known as Proposition B, requires Houston firefighters to receive the same pay as Houston police officers of comparable rank. 

The annual fundraiser helps increase revenue for local restaurants while raising contributions for the Houston Food Bank. (Courtesy Pexels)
Bay Area restaurants to participate in Houston Restaurant Weeks, Aug. 1-Sept. 6

A total of seven restaurants in Pasadena, Webster, Dickinson and Seabrook will participate in the annual fundraiser.

(Courtesy Black Rock Coffee Bar)
Black Rock Coffee Bar now open in Webster

Black Rock Coffee Bar opened in mid-July.

Main Chick Hot Chicken opened its first brick-and-mortar location July 23 in Sugar Land. (Courtesy Main Chick Hot Chicken)
Main Chick Hot Chicken opens in Sugar Land; Urban Bird Hot Chicken coming to Cy-Fair and more Houston-area news

Read the latest business and community news for the Houston area, including two new chicken restaurants.

Houston-area residents will be able to apply online for a one-time payment of $1,500 from July 28-Aug. 11. (File photo)
$30M COVID Relief Fund opens for Harris County residents as eviction moratorium ends

Sourced by funding from the American Rescue Plan Act, eligible residents will receive a one-time payment of $1,500 to support urgent needs.

(Courtesy city of League City)
League City City Council OKs leasing Clear Creek ISD building

With no discussion, League City City Council on July 27 approved an interlocal agreement with Clear Creek ISD to lease one of its oldest buildings for city functions.

The flaming saganaki is lit up tableside for diners, and served with baked or fried pita. Gyro meat, chicken, shrimp and vegetables can also be added; the dish starts at $16. (Colleen Ferguson/Community Impact Newspaper)
Bakkhus Taverna: Kemah restaurant serves 'Texas-Greek' flavor fusions

The eatery opened at 605 Sixth St. in the summer of 2008, a month before Hurricane Ike.

The Deer Park location is owned and operated by local entrepreneurs Sonda and Michael Frament. Michael has over 20 years of professional experience in computer programming and software development. (Courtesy of Sonda and Michael Frament)
Code Ninjas opens Deer Park location

The national kids' coding franchise also has Pearland, Friendswood and League City locations.

Pride Houston Parade
Pride Houston fall parade and festival canceled due to COVID-19 concerns

The downtown annual parade and festival, scheduled for Sept. 25, will be replaced by a Montrose block party and other events, organizers announced July 25.

The CDC reversed its masking guidance for fully vaccinated individuals in response to the transmissibility of the delta variant of COVID-19 in a press conference July 27. (Community Impact Newspaper staff)
NEW CDC GUIDANCE: All individuals should wear masks in K-12 schools, including those who are fully vaccinated

The new CDC guidance, announced July 27, also recommends people in areas with "high" or "substantial" levels of transmission wear masks regardless of vaccination status.