1. Last day to file in local elections, Aug. 20
The last day for candidates to file for the Nov. 6 election is Monday. Locally, Spring and Klein ISDs are holding board of trustee elections this year.
2. Early voting ends for $2.5 billion bond referendum
Early voting for the $2.5 billion Harris County bond referendum for flood prevention projects wraps up this week. Here's where to vote in the week before election day. Election day is Aug. 25. www.harrisvotes.com
3. Go birding in Kickerillo-Mischer Preserve, Aug. 20
Visitors can enjoy birding with the Houston Audubon Society and participate in the monthly bird count at Kickerillo-Mischer Preserve. 7:30 a.m.-noon. Free. 20215 Chasewood Park Drive, Houston. 713-274-4299. www.hcp4.net/tapevents
4. Enjoy a summer craft at Big Stone Lodge, Aug. 23
A volunteer demonstrates how to make a festival summer wreath at this special program. 2 p.m. Free. Big Stone Lodge, 709 Riley Fuzzel Road, Spring. 281-893-3726. www.hcp4.net
5. TEA accountability ratings are now available for 2017-18
Texas Education Agency released accountability ratings for school districts last week. Here are the results for Klein ISD and Spring ISD.