City & County:
- Early voting for Harris County’s $2.5 billion bond referendum for flood mitigation projects across the region ends Tuesday, Aug. 21. Find out where to vote here. Election day is Saturday, Aug, 25.
- ICYMI: Katy City Council provided an update on the city’s boardwalk district project Aug. 13. Find out what project updates are included in the updated memorandum here.
- ICYMI: Fort Bend County commissioners proposed a slight increase in the county drainage district property tax and a slight decrease in the overall Fort Bend County tax rate at an Aug. 7 regular meeting. The proposed drainage district tax rate of $0.01900 per $100 valuation would be an increase from last year’s approved rate of $0.01600 per $100 valuation. The county’s proposed overall tax rate is $0.44500 per $100 valuation.
- The Katy ISD board of trustees will meet at 6:30 p.m. Monday, Aug. 20 for a work study meeting. Items on the agenda include holding a public hearing on the proposed 2018-19 budget and tax rate and approving the 2018-19 budget.
- ICYMI: The Texas Education Agency released annual accountability ratings for schools across the state Aug. 15. This is the first time the TEA has used an A-F rating system which is similar to letter grades students receive. See how Katy ISD fared here.
In other news:
- Community Impact Newspaper is hosting "Coffee with Impact" and wants to answer your questions. Submit your questions you would like to know about insurance policy, preparing financially and the forecast for the rest of hurricane season here, and be sure to tune in for live coverage on Facebook from 9:30-10:30 a.m. Aug. 21.
- The August issue hits homes Thursday, Aug. 23. Keep an eye out in your mailbox for this issue, which includes a front cover story on Hurricane Harvey, one year later, and the safety and security measures being implemented at Katy-area schools in response to the rise of active shooter incidents.