8 Hwy. 290 lane closures affecting Cy-Fair drivers this weekend, Aug. 17-19

The Texas Department of Transportation has several Hwy. 290 closures planned in Cy-Fair this weekend.

The Texas Department of Transportation has announced the following lane closures along Hwy. 290 in Cy-Fair this weekend. For the most up-to-date information, visit www.my290.com.

Freeway closures
I-10 eastbound and westbound direct connector to Hwy. 290/Loop 610 northbound

• Total closure from 9 p.m. Friday, Aug. 17, to 5 a.m. Monday, Aug. 20.

• Drivers can detour to Loop 610 southbound, exit at Woodway/Memorial and U-turn to Loop 610 northbound.

Hwy. 290 eastbound entrance ramp from Huffmeister Road

• Total closure until further notice.

• Drivers can continue on the eastbound frontage road to the Hwy. 6/FM 1960 entrance ramp.

Hwy. 290 westbound entrance ramp from Jones Road

• Total closure until further notice.

• Drivers can detour to the next entrance ramp.

Hwy. 290 eastbound and westbound from Telge Road to Mueschke Road

• Total closure from 9 p.m. Friday, Aug. 17, to noon Saturday, Aug. 18.

• Drivers can detour to the next open entrance ramp.

Hwy. 290 eastbound from the south fork of Cole Creek to Pinemont Drive

• One outside lane will be closed overnight from 9 p.m.-5 a.m. through the morning of Monday, Aug. 20.

Frontage road closures
Hwy. 290 eastbound frontage road from the Telge Road entrance ramp to Huffmeister Road

• One inside lane will be closed until 5 p.m. Sunday, Sept. 2.

Hwy. 290 westbound frontage road from east of Mason Road to Mason Road

• One outside lane will be closed until further notice.

Street closures
FM 1960 northbound from Wortham Blvd. to N. Eldridge Parkway

• One outside lane will be closed until 3 p.m. Wednesday, Aug. 22.

By Danica Lloyd

Editor, Cy-Fair

Danica joined Community Impact Newspaper as a reporter in 2016. As editor, she continues to cover local government, education, health care, real estate, development, business and transportation in Cy-Fair. Her experience prior to CI includes studying at the Washington Journalism Center and interning at a startup incubator in D.C., serving as editor-in-chief of Union University's student magazine and online newspaper, reporting for The Jackson Sun and freelancing for other publications in Arkansas and Tennessee.

student writing on paper
Texas Legislature allows parents to opt for students to repeat grade levels or courses

Senate Bill 1697 is effective for the 2021-22 school year.

Construction in the new Dunham Pointe master-planned community is underway. (Danica Lloyd/Community Impact Newspaper)
Development, vaccines and high-speed rail: These were the 8 most read Cy-Fair news stories in July

ICMYI: These were the most popular local news stories on our website this month.

Urban Bird Hot Chicken is coming soon to the Cy-Fair area. (Courtesy Urban Bird Hot Chicken)
Here are the top 5 Cy-Fair restaurant announcements from July

Several restaurant announcements were made throughout July in Cy-Fair.

School supplies will be exempt from the 8.25% sales tax Aug. 6-8. (Courtesy Adobe Stock)
What to know before the statewide tax-free weekend Aug. 6-8

Customers will not have to pay the standard 8.25% sales tax on select clothing, footwear, school supplies and backpacks under $100.

Louetta Automotive Sports Complex will host students from the PSAT academy. (Courtesy Pexels)
Prep Student Athlete Training Academy launching soon in Cy-Fair

The academy educates student-athletes and helps prepare them for their post-graduate careers.

Main Chick Hot Chicken opened its first brick-and-mortar location July 23 in Sugar Land. (Courtesy Main Chick Hot Chicken)
Main Chick Hot Chicken opens in Sugar Land; Urban Bird Hot Chicken coming to Cy-Fair and more Houston-area news

Read the latest business and community news for the Houston area, including two new chicken restaurants.

The meals will be available at no cost for all students with zero requirements for qualification. (Courtesy Adobe Stock)
Harmony Public Schools to offer free meals to all students

The meals will be available at no cost for all students with zero requirements for qualification.

Shop Texas Boutique is opening its first storefront July 31. (Courtesy Shop Texas Boutique)
Shop Texas Boutique to hold Cy-Fair grand opening

The "Christmas in July"-themed grand opening is scheduled for this weekend.

Houston-area residents will be able to apply online for a one-time payment of $1,500 from July 28-Aug. 11. (File photo)
$30M COVID Relief Fund opens for Harris County residents as eviction moratorium ends

Sourced by funding from the American Rescue Plan Act, eligible residents will receive a one-time payment of $1,500 to support urgent needs.

The Kickerillo-Mischer Preserve will break ground on a new expansion project in September. (Emily Jaroszewski/Community Impact Newspaper)
Kickerillo-Mischer Preserve in Harris County breaking ground on new project in September

Construction of new pedestrian trails is expected to be completed by the first quarter of 2022.

Pride Houston Parade
Pride Houston fall parade and festival canceled due to COVID-19 concerns

The downtown annual parade and festival, scheduled for Sept. 25, will be replaced by a Montrose block party and other events, organizers announced July 25.