Fundraisers, live music, belly dancing and more: 11 things to do in the Greater Houston area this weekend, July 27-29

With events from fundraisers for cancer patients to learning how to belly dance, there's plenty to do in the Greater Houston area to pack your weekend. Check out our list of 11 things to do in Cypress, Houston, Humble, Spring, The Woodlands, Friendswood, Sugar Land, League City, Tomball and Katy.

Friday, July 27
Celebrate Sugar Land's NOLA Nights 
The Platinum Players play a mix of Zydeco, classic rock, R&B, blues and dance music at Sugar Land Town Square's NOLA Nights concert. The Rouxpour offer beer and small plates for cash-only purchases. 7:30-9:30 p.m. Free. 2711 Plaza Drive, Sugar Land. 281-242-2000. www.sugarlandtownsquare.com/events

Watch "Coco" in the park
The department of parks and recreation staff in Friendswood invites residents to the Evelyn B. Newman Amphitheater for a screening of award-winning movie "Coco" as part of the Movies in the Park series. Bring your own lawn chairs, blankets and refreshments and enjoy the movie. Gates open at 7 p.m. 8-10:30 p.m. Free. 2200 S. Friendswood Drive, Friendswood. 281-996-3220. www.ci.friendswood.tx.us

Sip and shop in League City
Strawberry Hill Upcycling Boutique and D's Rustic Charm have teamed up for a sip and shop event in which participants can taste various wines and finger foods as they shop. 6-9 p.m. Free. Old Town Square, 240 Park Avenue, League City. 281-508-0451. https://strawberryhillboutique.ecwid.com

Saturday, July 28
Taste new beer and listen to live music
Country singer-songwriter Matt Stillwell performs live at the Budweiser Tasting Room at the Budweiser Brewery Experience in Houston. Guests can try the limited-release Budweiser Freedom Reserve Red Lager. If purchasing the lager, a portion of the proceeds benefit Folds of Honor, a nonprofit organization that provides educational scholarships to military families. 10 a.m.-5 p.m. (brewery tours), 4-6 p.m. (Stillwell performance). Free. 775 Gellhorn Drive, Houston. 713-678-3060. www.budweisertours.com/locations/houston-texas.html

Donate to cancer patients
Stuff the Sleigh hosts Christmas in July, a charity event benefiting children with cancer and their families by providing them with school supplies before the academic year begins. Backpacks, lunch boxes, generic gift cards, clothes and other school supplies are needed. Stuff the Sleigh's Amazon wish list for the children can be found here. Food and games provided at the event. 2-4 p.m. Free. Main Event, 24401 Katy Freeway, Katy. 512-966-8804. www.thesleigh.org

Learn how to belly dance
Sami Grace Fitness invites Houston residents to attend a 90-minute belly-dancing class instructed by Tabitha Guardione. Fee includes a coin hip scarf and a coupon for belly-dancing classes at Serenity. Bearing your stomach is not a requirement. 9-10:30 a.m. $20. 351 Columbia Memorial Parkway, Ste. G1, League City. 832-457-2638. www.facebook.com/samigracefitness

See Logic live in concert
Popular artists Logic and NF are coming to the Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavilion this Saturday as part of the Bobby Tarantino vs. Everybody tour. 7 p.m. $25-$384. 2005 Lake Robbins Drive, The Woodlands. 281-364-3010. https://concerts1.livenation.com

Attend a health, beauty and wellness expo
Learn about natural skin care routines, makeup, fitness, eating healthy and more at The Truly Natural Company's health, beauty and wellness expo. Petting zoo, trackless train rides, giveaways, raffle prizes, free samples, food and sno-cone trucks, pet adoptions and more provided. The Truly Natural Company is also collecting school supplies for Interfaith Young Professionals' Kits 4 Kidz program. 9:30 a.m.-2 p.m. Free. 6464 Creekside Forest Drive, Spring. 832-545-5824. www.thetrulynaturalco.com

Smooch a pooch
The Abandoned Animal Rescue, a shelter for homeless pets, hosts Smooches for Pooches, a fundraiser for the rescue. 11 a.m.-2 p.m. $5 lunch plates and $1 puppy kisses. 28531 Tomball Parkway, Tomball. 281-789-4142. www.aartexas.org

Saturday, July 28 and Sunday, July 29
Try goat yoga

Goat Yoga Texas comes to Murdoch's Backyard Pub to allow participants to try yoga moves with baby goats climbing on them throughout the session. 11 a.m. (Sat.), 2 p.m. (Sun.). $29. 18541 Mueschke Road, Cypress. 281-516-9753. www.eventbrite.com

Sunday, July 29
Enjoy a music festival

Martini Blu's first southern soul, blues and zydeco music festival takes place this Sunday at Humble Civic Arena. Artists such as Willie Clayton, Sir Charles, Tucka, Keith Frank, Brian Jack and Jeff Floyd perform. Noon-10 p.m. $25-$35. 8233 Will Clayton Parkway, Humble. 281-624-7654. www.facebook.com/events/237315996861939

SHARE THIS STORY
By Kara McIntyre

Kara started with Community Impact Newspaper as the summer intern for the south Houston office in June 2018 after graduating with a bachelor's degree in mass communication from Midwestern State University in Wichita Falls, Texas. She became the Tomball/Magnolia reporter in September 2018. Prior to CI, Kara served as the editor-in-chief of The Wichitan—Midwestern State University's student-run campus newspaper—and interned with both the Wichita Adult Literacy Council and VeepWorks.

<

Bay Area Natural Wellness and iCRYO both offer preventive healthcare, and business owners said customers can still take advantage of their services despite the coronavirus outbreak. (Courtesy iCRYO)
Bay Area businesses remain open to offer preventive healthcare amid coronavirus concerns

Bay Area Natural Wellness and iCRYO both offer preventive health care, and business owners said customers can still take advantage of their services despite the coronavirus outbreak.

According to recent League City Police Department records, officers have responded to over three dozen reports of residents and businesses violating Galveston County’s stay-at-home order in less than two weeks. (Courtesy Fotolia)
RECORDS: League City police disband parties, visit businesses reportedly violating stay-at-home order

According to recent League City Police Department records, officers have responded to over three dozen reports of residents and businesses violating Galveston County’s stay-at-home order in less than two weeks.

The employees of The Adventure Begins Comics, Games & More gather their characters together in "Animal Crossing: New Horizons." (Kate Looney/The Adventure Begins Comics, Games & More)
5 recent business stories from the Houston area readers should know

Read updates on how local businesses are reacting in the wake of the coronavirus pandemic.

Many renters in the Greater Houston area may be faced with struggles paying rent amid the coronavirus outbreak. There are local resources located throughout the region that can help. (Courtesy Pexels)
Struggling to pay April rent? Here are some resources in the Greater Houston area

The deadline for April rent is looming as renters—both in public and private housing—in the Greater Houston area may be struggling financially in the wake of the coronavirus outbreak.

President Donald Trump signed a $2 trillion package March 27 to provide relief during the coronavirus pandemic. (Courtesy Adobe Stock)
Sen. John Cornyn discusses provisions laid out in CARES Act

The $2 trillion package provides funding to help fight the virus and to provide financial assistance for Americans during the pandemic.

Initial claims for unemployment insurance rates are increasing across the nation in the midst of COVID-19. (Courtesy Adobe Stock)
Texas sees 77% increase in unemployment insurance claims during week ending March 28

Texas ranked fifth among states in the U.S. with 275,597 initial claims filed the week ending March 28.

Here is what to know about rent, mortgages and utility bills during the coronavirus. (Courtesy Fotolia)
FAQ: Paying bills in the time of coronavirus

What to know about rent, mortgages and utility bills during the coronavirus

Texas Tribune: Some local elections in Texas moving ahead despite coronavirus spread

A handful of towns and special districts still plan to go ahead with their May 2 votes, arranging polling places despite calls from the president on down directing people to stay at home to prevent the spread of the deadly virus.

Lake Travis Fire Rescue is one of hundreds of emergency service districts serving millions of Texas residents across the state. Firefighters, EMTs and medical professionals said they are concerned about the availability of personal protective equipment as the coronavirus public health crisis continues. (Brian Rash/Community Impact Newspaper)
First responders, medical professionals across Texas worry about inadequate personal protective equipment supplies

In a survey of emergency service districts across the state, two-thirds of respondents said they were concerned about a shortage of equipment such as masks, goggles and gloves.

Harris County is the third fastest-growing county in the U.S., according to 2019 census data. (Courtesy Visit Houston)
Harris County ranked fastest-growing, most populous county in Texas by 2019 census data

As the 2020 U.S. Census rolls out across the nation, the U.S. Census Bureau released its July 1, 2019, population estimates March 26.

Clear Creek ISD will close all facilities through at least May 4. (Jake Magee/Community Impact Newspaper)
Clear Creek ISD extends school closure through May 4

On March 31, Gov. Greg Abbott announced that schools would remain closed until at least May 4.

Bay Area counties have begun breaking down counts for the coronavirus COVID-19 by city and region, and data indicates that the Clear Lake and League City areas have a total of about 90 positive cases, not counting Houston numbers. (Courtesy Adobe Stock)
DATA: How many positive coronavirus cases are there in Clear Lake, League City?

The Clear Lake and League City areas have a total of about 90 positive cases, not counting Houston numbers.