4 things you may have missed at this month's Cy-Fair ISD board meeting

Cy-Fair ISD's board of trustees convened for January's regular meeting Monday night. Here are some highlights you may have missed:

New principals introduced
Four new principals were introduced to the board.

Former Holbrook Elementary School Principal Yvette Garcia now serves as principal of Truitt Middle School. Elizabeth Bradley, former director of instruction at Kahla Middle School, is Pope Elementary School’s newest principal. Spillane Middle School’s new principal Jamie Brotemarkle most recently served as director of instruction at Spillane. McFee Elementary School’s new principal, Sharon Whitfield, was promoted from assistant principal.

Academic calendar approved
The board unanimously voted to approve the 2018-19 academic calendar as recommended by a 34-person committee of parents, teachers and community leaders. Read the full story here.

Teachers and paraeducators recognized for good attendance records
Full-time teachers and paraeducators in the district who had two or fewer absences in the fall 2017 semester were eligible to have their name drawn to win $1,600 each. Although 4,574 were eligible for the drawing, a total of 130 employees—one from each elementary school, two from each middle school and three from each high school—were recognized.

CFISD Chief Financial Officer Stuart Snow said the program started last year as a way to help maintain the continuity of classroom instruction for students and reduce the $10 million spent by the district each year on substitute teachers. Another 130 winners will be drawn at the end of the spring semester.

Moore Elementary School update
At a board work session last Thursday, Jan. 18, Dan Grosz, director of design and facilities planning, provided an update on the progress of Moore Elementary School renovations after Hurricane Harvey devastated the campus.

The full renovation is estimated to cost $12-$14 million, and the facility—located at 13734 Lakewood Forest Drive, Houston—is expected to open in time for the fall 2018 semester. Read the full story here.

By Danica Lloyd

Editor, Cy-Fair

Danica joined Community Impact Newspaper as a reporter in 2016. As editor, she continues to cover local government, education, health care, real estate, development, business and transportation in Cy-Fair. Her experience prior to CI includes studying at the Washington Journalism Center and interning at a startup incubator in D.C., serving as editor-in-chief of Union University's student magazine and online newspaper, reporting for The Jackson Sun and freelancing for other publications in Arkansas and Tennessee.

Cliff Woodward (center), co-founder of Cypress Creek Emergency Medical Services, hands the keys of CCEMS’ first ambulance to early CCEMS paramedic Richard Beasley (left) in 1975. (Courtesy Cypress Creek EMS)
Cypress Creek EMS, Harris County ESD 11 forge new paths after yearslong feud

On Sept. 1, the Harris County ESD 11 launched ESD 11 Mobile Healthcare to take over providing emergency services to over 600,000 residents across 177 square miles in its service area in north Harris County.

Texas Medical Center coronavirus updates: Daily average hospitalizations drop 15% week over week; ICU sees dip in number of patients

Coronavirus patients at TMC hospitals number 2,107, which in itself is an 11% week over week decline.

The sandwich chain offers hot subs, cold subs with fresh-cut deli meat, wraps and salads. (Courtesy Jersey Mike's Subs)
Jersey Mike’s Subs opening soon on Barker Cypress Road

The eatery offers a variety of cold and hot subs as well as wraps and salads.

At a Sept. 11 practice, Houston Girls Hockey Association teams took the ice to prepare for their first games the weekend of Sept. 17. (Courtesy Houston Girls Hockey Association)
New Houston-area all-girls hockey league set to play first games this weekend, Sept. 17-19

The league was created to give school-aged girls a chance to continue playing hockey through college, since young girls can often feel discouraged playing on co-ed teams, Director of Membership Valory Zeck said.

graphic
DATA: How population changed in Texas counties between census counts in 2010, 2020

Texas added nearly four million people between 2010 and 2020, according to the latest Census data.

Texas-wide public charter school system Harmony Public Schools will offer a full virtual learning option for eligible students. (Courtesy Harmony Public Schools)
Harmony Public Schools will offer virtual learning for K-12 students in Houston, Katy, Sugar Land, Cypress

Schools under the Harmony Public Schools umbrella may offer up to 10% of its student body a full virtual learning option.

The Barn at Frio Grill has food, drinks and live music. (Courtesy The Barn at Frio Grill)
15 live music venues to visit in Cy-Fair

With a growing live-music scene in their own backyard, Cy-Fair residents do not need to travel far to see talented artists perform.

Construction has begun on Elementary School No. 57. (Courtesy Cy-Fair ISD)
5 Cy-Fair developments to follow this fall

Construction is underway on these five local projects.

Q&A: Get to know Bobby Warren, Jersey Village’s newest mayor

Bobby Warren was elected mayor of Jersey Village in May. Check out our Q&A to see what he's been up to and what his priorities are moving forward.

Lambeau's Sports Bar & Grill is now open. (Courtesy Lambeau's Sports Bar & Grill)
Lambeau’s Sports Bar & Grill holds soft opening on Louetta Road

During the soft opening, the eatery will offer full bar service and a limited version of its food menu.

At the Sept. 14 Harris County Commissioners Court meeting, County Administrator David Berry, top left, presents proposed tax rates to commissioners Jack Cagle and Tom Ramsey, Judge Lina Hidalgo, and commissioners Adrian Garcia and Rodney Ellis. (Emily Lincke/Community Impact Newspaper)
Harris County commissioners propose lower tax rates with split vote

While the proposed tax rate is lower than the current rate, tax payers may actually end up paying more since the values of homes statewide increased this year, according to County Administrator David Berry.