Updates on 5 Cy-Fair businesses and facilities planning to reopen after Harvey

These five area businesses and organizations have reopened or made plans to reopen following Hurricane Harvey's devastation.

Kroger to reopen before holiday season
The Kroger grocery store located at 10010 Cypresswood Drive, Houston, took on two to three feet of water and had extensive damage following Harvey. Spokesperson Joy Partain said renovations will be ongoing until later this year to replace all flooring, millwork, fixtures, equipment, electronics and inventory.

Officials plan to reopen the store before the holidays, and it is estimated the renovations will cost several million dollars. 281-807-9095. www.kroger.com

The Hope Chest plans for early November reopening
The Hope Chest, Cy-Hope’s resale market located at 12015 Barker Cypress Road, Cypress, sustained about three feet of water throughout the first floor during Hurricane Harvey, Executive Director Lynda Zelenka said. Staff is accepting donated furniture and household items to restock the store, which is expected to reopen in early November.

Cy-Hope also sustained some minor damage to its headquarters on Telge Road as well as at one Hope Center, but all programming is continuing as scheduled. About half of the backpacks from Cy-Hope’s backpack feeding program were lost, but that program will also resume later this month, Zelenka said said. Because the organization has incurred unanticipated costs, any financial donations are welcome, she said. 281-758-1003. www.cy-hope.org

Students at Covenant Academy return to classroom
When Covenant Academy received extensive water damage at 11711 Telge Road, Cypress, Cy-Hope allowed the school’s 142 pre-K through 12th grade students to use the Cypress Alamo building on their property as a temporary schoolhouse for three weeks.

Head of School Leslie Collins said a team of volunteers had all flooring and walls replaced by Oct. 1, and students were able to return to their classrooms Oct. 2. Renovations at the school are still underway, and the school is accepting donations to help mitigate costs not covered by insurance. 281-373-2233. www.covenantacademyhouston.org

VillaSport to remain closed until mid-December
VillaSport Athletic Club and Spa will be closed until mid-December to recover from flood damage following Hurricane Harvey, officials said. The facility, located at 12951 Barker Cypress Road, Cypress, opened in late July with 190,000 square feet of workout equipment, group fitness classes, children’s activities and spa services.

General Manager Herb Lipsman said in a Facebook post that membership dues would be suspended until the club opens again, and members can access a location in The Woodlands free of charge in the meantime. 281-296-3697.
www.facebook.com/villasportcypress

Hyatt Place in Vintage Park to reopen Oct. 13
After temporarily closing for renovations, the Hyatt Place Houston Vintage Park at 20300 Hwy. 249, Houston, will reopen Oct. 13. Although meeting rooms will not be available until near the end of November, the breakfast buffet, food services and gallery bar are back in service, officials said.

The heated pool is open daily, and the fitness center is open 24/7. 832-930-8090. www.hyattplacehoustonvintagepark.com

By Danica Lloyd

Editor, Cy-Fair

Danica joined Community Impact Newspaper as a reporter in 2016. As editor, she continues to cover local government, education, health care, real estate, development, business and transportation in Cy-Fair. Her experience prior to CI includes studying at the Washington Journalism Center and interning at a startup incubator in D.C., serving as editor-in-chief of Union University's student magazine and online newspaper, reporting for The Jackson Sun and freelancing for other publications in Arkansas and Tennessee.

Color Me Mine Cypress relocated to a new studio space Oct. 2. (Courtesy Color Me Mine Cypress)
Color Me Mine Cypress relocates studio after 10 years in business

The pottery painting studio has been in Cypress for about 10 years and offers a range of projects as well as events for children and adults.

Heather Lagrone, Adrienne Holloway, Luis Guajardo, Maya Ford and Charleen Jones sit onstage while Holloway introduces the audience to the Harris County Housing Needs Assessment study on Oct. 19. (Emily Lincke/Community Impact Newspaper)
Kinder Institute housing survey results reveal Harris County's needs

To meet the need for additional, more affordable housing for only 20% of the 500,000 cost-burdened residents, 8,174 housing units would need to be added annually through 2031, according to the study.

Jubilee will be located south of Hwy. 290 and west of the Grand Parkway. (Courtesy Johnson Development)
New 1,620-acre community under development in Hockley

Approximately 4,800 homes are planned for Jubilee, and pre-sales are expected to begin in early 2023.

Want to know more about new businesses coming to the Katy area? Below you can find details on the five latest commercial projects filed in Katy. (Courtesy Canva)
CI NATION ROUNDUP: Read the latest top news about restaurants, businesses and other commercial projects that are coming soon or now open

Take a look at the top five trending stories across all of Community Impact Newspaper’s coverage areas as of Oct. 19.

Huberty will retire at the end of his fifth term in the Texas House of Representatives, where he introduced bills focused on public education reform. (Brooke Ontiveros/Community Impact Newspaper)
Kingwood Rep. Dan Huberty announces retirement after 10 years

Huberty will retire at the end of his fifth term in the Texas House of Representatives, where he introduced bills focused on public education reform.

Burro & Bull is opening this fall in Cypress. (Courtesy Burro & Bull)
Burro & Bull opening soon at former Corky's Ribs & BBQ location in Cypress

The new eatery’s barbecue menu will feature smoky queso, boudin balls, smoked brisket flautas and the entire sausage lineup from Henderson & Kane General Store.

Harris County Commissioners Court's revised redistricting map as of Aug. 31. (Screenshot courtesy Harris County Commissioners Court)
Harris County Commissioners Court to take public comments on redistricting Oct. 21

The meeting will be held at the Harris County Commissioners Court, located at 1001 Preston St., Ste. 934, Houston, at 4 p.m.

The new H-E-B store is located on Ronald Reagan Boulevard in north Leander. (Taylor Girtman/Community Impact Newspaper)
CI NATION ROUNDUP: New H-E-B in Leander opening soon; Texas Supreme Court grants rehearing for high-speed rail eminent domain case and more top news

Take a look at the top five trending stories across all of Community Impact Newspaper’s coverage areas as of Oct. 18.

In September, Prioritize & Organize opened offering decluttering services to customers in the Greater Houston area. (Courtesy Ashton Wilson)
Spring-based Prioritize & Organize now offering decluttering services across Greater Houston area

Prioritize & Organize, an organization and decluttering business based out of Spring, opened in September.

Early voting for the Nov. 2 election runs from Oct. 18-29. (Graphic by Community Impact Newspaper staff)
When, where in Cy-Fair to cast an early vote for Nov. 2 election

Statewide propositions are on the ballot in addition to three positions on the Cy-Fair ISD board of trustees.

Texas Medical Center: Coronavirus patient numbers drop 25% in one week, dip below 800

The number of COVID-19 patients hospitalized at Texas Medical Center institutions has continued its decline.