Find out what you need to know about early voting for Harris County’s $2.5 billion bond and other news to follow in Katy this week, Aug. 6-10 here:
City & County
- Fort Bend County Commissioners Court will meet at 1 p.m. on Aug. 7 at the historic courthouse in downtown Richmond. Items on the agenda include setting a public hearing for the traffic control plan for Katy ISD’s Elementary School #32 to be at 1 p.m. on Sept. 4 as well as setting two public hearings for the county’s proposed 2018 tax rate to be at 5:30 p.m. on Aug. 29 and 1 p.m. on Sept. 4. Commissioners will also set two public hearings for the county’s proposed 2019 fiscal year budget to be at 5:30 p.m. on Sept. 10 and 1 p.m. on Sept. 11.
- Early voting for Harris County’s $2.5 billion bond referendum for flood control projects throughout the region begins Wednesday, Aug. 8 through Aug. 21. Election day is set for Aug. 25. Find out where to vote and important information here. Find out how the bond will affect the average property tax bill here.
- In case you missed it: The Harris County Flood Control District’s last community engagement meeting to discuss potential projects for the $2.5 billion bond was Aug. 1. Read more on what happened at the meeting and the projects being proposed for the Barker Reservoir watershed here.
- ICYMI: School districts directly affected by Hurricane Harvey could be eligible for special evaluation in the state’s accountability system this year. Katy ISD made the list of 83 school districts that are eligible for a new Texas Education Agency provision based on certain standards.
- A new assisted living community center recently opened in Katy. The center, which is operating in partnership with Memorial Hermann, will cater to patients recovering from acute injuries and illnesses, as well as elderly residents who require residential care assistance.
- Another new medical facility is expected to break ground in Katy by early 2019. Called Medical Plaza West, the facility will designed to accommodate specialized users such as ambulatory surgery centers, radiation oncology, and imaging.
- The Shops of Katy Trails is expected to complete construction by the end of 2018. Read more on the development.
- A new wings and waffles restaurant is coming to Katy this Aug.