Here are transportation projects taking place in McKinney in May.
1. Trinity Falls Parkway widening
In May, paving will continue along Trinity Falls Parkway as the road is widened from two lanes to four lanes between Laud Howell Parkway and FM 543. One lane of traffic traveling in either direction on Trinity Falls will remain open during construction. No long-term lane closures are expected to take place, but drivers should expect traffic shifts during construction.
Timeline: February 2019-early 2020
Cost: $10 million
Funding sources: city of McKinney, developers
2. Virginia Parkway widening
Remaining pavement improvements will occur on Virginia Parkway between Carlisle Street and US 75 in May. Bridge work over Wilson Creek is also expected to be finalized in May.
When complete, Virginia between Ridge Road and US 75 will be widened from a four-lane road to a six-lane road.
Timeline: March 2017-June 2019
Cost: $15 million
Funding sources: city of McKinney, Collin County, North Central Texas Council of Governments
3. Intersection improvements
Construction at the intersection of (A) US 380 and Hardin Boulevard began in April and will continue through August. Improvements at the intersection of (B) Virginia Parkway and Ridge Road are expected to begin in early June. Improvements at (C) US 380 and Airport Drive and (D) Custer Road and Westridge Boulevard are anticipated to begin in late summer.
Improvements include additional right- or left-turn lanes, updated signage and traffic signal modifications.
Cost: $1.6 million
Funding source: city of McKinney
- Wilmeth Road extension: Design work is expected to begin this summer to connect Wilmeth Road from Lake Forest Drive to Hardin Boulevard.
- Collin McKinney Parkway extension: The city of McKinney is looking to extend Collin McKinney Parkway between Lake Forest Drive and Hardin Boulevard. Design work for this project is expected to begin this summer.
- Stacy Road widening: Design work for an additional travel lane in each direction on Stacy Road from Custer Road to Ridge Road is expected to begin this summer. The project will include a new traffic signal at the intersection of Stacy and McKinney Ranch Parkway.
- Virginia Parkway improvements: Design for improvements along Virginia Parkway from Custer Road to Virginia Parklands Boulevard began in March and is expected to be complete in December. Construction on the project will begin in early 2020.