1. Newly formed real estate company to build 2,100-acre, mixed-use development in McKinney
This development spans from Lake Forest Drive to US 75 near the future Laud Howell Parkway and Hardin Boulevard. The development will consist of commercial, retail and entertainment venues. Since publication, the development has been renamed Honeycreek and spans approximately 2,500 acres.
2. UPDATE: Costco officials correct timeline for McKinney location opening
Wanda Jorgenson, administrative assistant in Costco’s real estate department, said Aug. 22 that Costco will not give an expected opening date until the development is “at construction.” She said it takes about 100 days to open a store once it begins construction.
3. Cadillac Pizza Pub owners opening The Yard-McKinney this spring
The Yard-McKinney, 107 S. Church St., is expected to open in the spring at the former home of Cafe Malage. After delays, the 2,500-square-foot restaurant now expects to open in spring 2018.
4. 'Meet Me in McKinney' campaign launches Tuesday to land Amazon's second headquarters
The goal of the campaign, which launched Oct. 17, is to attract Amazon's second North American headquarters by allowing community members to share their stories about McKinney. Amazon is expected to make a selection in early 2018.
5. Full lane closures on US 75 near Bush Turnpike expected, Nov. 11-13
Both north- and southbound lanes on US 75 were closed near the President George Bush Turnpike intersection Nov. 11-13 as part of a broader project that involved demolishing and rebuilding the Plano Parkway bridge. The full project on US 75 is expected to continue into 2019, a Texas Department of Transportation spokesperson told Community Impact Newspaper in October.
6. Mosquito pools test positive for West Nile virus in McKinney
A mosquito pool tested positive for West Nile virus near Fire Station No. 3, located at 4269 W. Eldorado Parkway. In 2017, two mosquito pools tested positive for the virus and one human case was confirmed.
7. 6 development projects taking place in McKinney
Brookhaven Church, Playful Corp. and Victory at Stonebridge are some developments that began taking shape in McKinney this year.
8. Baker's Drive-In owner is McKinney restaurant's fourth since opening in the 1950s
Born and raised in McKinney, Mark Montgomery bought Baker's Drive-In in January 2000. Montgomery said not much has changed from the original owner.
9. Update: McKinney expected to have 2 Cinemark Theatres by spring 2018
Cinemark Theatres is expected to open in the spring of 2018 at the southwest intersection of Hardin Boulevard and US 380. Cinemark Theaters also has a location at 1701 S. Central Expressway, McKinney, which will remain open.
10. Update: McKinney mayor: City 'taking steps' to pursue Amazon headquarters
In September, Mayor George Fuller said he and city staff will "proactively pursue a deal with Amazon."
In early October, the Jorba family donated property in the Honeycreek development to the city as one of the city's top locations for a potential Amazon headquarters.