Aug. 19 marks the first day of school in Grapevine-Colleyville ISD and Carroll ISD. Start the year right with this compilation of back-to-school tips.
First day of school: Aug. 19
Thanksgiving holiday: Nov. 25-29
Winter break: Dec. 23-Jan. 3
Student holiday: Jan. 20
Spring Break: March 9-13
Last day of school: May 28
CISD: Parents can view daily menus for each campus, photos and nutritional information through https://southlakecarroll.nutrislice.com/menu. Parents can access student lunch accounts through the CISD mobile app or through www.myschoolbucks.com. Free and reduced lunch applications can be filled out at www.southlakecarroll.edu/page/2999.
GCISD: Parents and students can view daily menus and allergens for each campus, rate the menu items and participate in surveys through the MealViewer app. Parents can pay their students’ meal fees directly to the school or through www.myschoolbucks.com. Free and reduced lunch applications can be filled out at www.schoollunchapp.com.
Transportation is provided from homes more than 2 miles from the school in each attendance zone. Bus routes and times are available through each school. GCISD parents can also call 817-251-5592, and CISD parents can call 817-949-8333 for any other information on their student’s transportation.
1. Emergency drills for various scenarios are practiced at least once a semester.
2. Evacuation drills are practiced once a semester.
3. During the school day, visitor entry to school is limited to secured entrances.
Specifically in CISD
4. All CISD schools are assigned at least one armed, uniformed school resource officer from the local police department.
5. CISD communicates via Twitter and Facebook and through the district’s Mass Notifications phone messaging and email system. Information is also posted to the CISD website. Communications regarding health and safety are identified by the hashtag #SAFEdragon.
Specifically in GCISD
4. All secondary schools are assigned at least one armed, uniformed school resource officer from the local police department.
5. Information regarding health and safety is communicated directly with parents and when appropriate on the website and social media.
PTA and PTO members advocate on behalf of families and teachers. There is no commitment required, but volunteering at your PTA’s or PTO’s campus is encouraged. A list of local PTAs and information on how to join is available at www.gcisdcouncilofptas.org, and a list of local PTOs and membership information is available at www.southlakecarrollpto.com.
Students must meet the Texas Department of State Health Services minimum immunization requirements in order to enroll in local school districts. Tarrant County Public Health has partnered with the Immunization Collaboration of Tarrant County to offer back-to-school immunizations at two locations from Aug. 13-30. Free and reduced vaccinations will also be available to eligible children at these locations, in accordance with state law. Find out more information here.
Family Life Gym
1601 N. Davis Drive, Arlington (North entrance)
Hours: Tue.-Fri. 9 a.m.-6 p.m., Sat. 9 a.m.-2 p.m.
La Gran Plaza Property
405 E. Bolt St., Ste. 415, Fort Worth (Across the street from the mall, beside the library)
Hours: Mon.-Fri. 9 a.m.-6 p.m., Sat. 9 a.m.-2 p.m.