December 2018 neighborhood notes: Recent news from communities across South Austin

Find recent community news, homeowners association updates, local developments and upcoming events happening in neighborhoods across the South Austin area.

1: Bradshaw Crossing

Students at the Wayside: Altamira Academy charter school have a new playground that includes a rope wall, a slide, a climbing dome and a zip line. More than 100 members of the community joined volunteers from General Motors Co. and KaBoom!, a nonprofit that promotes children’s play, on Dec. 1 to put the playscape together.

2: Circle C Ranch

The Dispatch, Bowie High School’s student newspaper, received recognitions at the three-day Journalism Education Association/National Scholastic Press Association convention on Nov. 3 in Chicago.

The paper won a Pacemaker award and received a second-place Best In Show award, according to a news release by Dispatch copy editor Rachel Baschnagel. Violet Glenewinkel, a 2018 Bowie graduate and former Dispatch editor-in-chief, was named writer of the year for her work during the 2017-18 school year.

3: Oak Hill

The Kuk Sool Won of Oak Hill Martial Arts School won first place in the 2018 Kuk Sool Won World Tournament in October. Held in Galveston, the competition featured over 1,200 participants from around the world. The Oak Hill school sent 122 local students to the competition, Program Director Brenda Hayosh said. The martial arts school, which is located at 6001 W. William Cannon Drive, Ste. 307, Austin, also celebrated its 10th anniversary this year.

4: Onion Creek

The new fire and emergency medical services station at the northwest corner of FM 1626 and Old San Antonio Road is nearing completion. According to Austin Public Works spokesperson Matthew Hart, the station, which was scheduled to be finished this fall and will serve the Onion Creek neighborhood and surrounding areas, should be completed “in very early 2019.”

5: Western Oaks

Mills Elementary School student Sam Thyng won the grand prize in Uncle Ben’s 2018 Ben’s Beginners Cooking Contest, receiving $30,000 for a cafeteria makeover for the school and $15,000 for his family. The winning recipe was for Thyng’s Creepy Calzones. The school held an assembly Dec. 4 to announce Thyng as the winner.