Road closures, bus detours, increased bus trip frequency and extended MetroRail operations will take place July 4 as the city celebrates Independence Day and Capital Metro aims to accommodate residents and visitors.
Bus route changes
From 8 p.m. to midnight July 4, MetroRapid Route 801 on North Lamar Boulevard/South Congress Avenue and Route 803 on Burnet Road/South Lamar Boulevard will operate on a special 15-minute frequency to accommodate more riders, according to a Capital Metro news release.Read more
Transit riders can find real-time information, including where to catch local buses and MetroRapid after the annual Austin Symphony H-E-B July 4th Concert & Fireworks event, using Capital Metro’s app and online Trip Planner. Several of Capital Metro’s bus routes can provide transportation to the event at Auditorium Shores.
In addition to Routes 801 and 803, local routes include:
- 1 Metric Blvd./ South Congress Avenue
- 3 Burnet Road/Manchaca Road
- 5 WoodrowAve./South 5th Street
- 7 Duval Road/Dove Springs
- 10 South First Street/Red River Street
- 20 Manor Road/Riverside Drive
- 30 Barton Creek
- 100 MetroAirport
Night Owl buses will run every 20 to 30 minutes from midnight to 3 a.m., with all routes departing from Sixth Street and Congress Avenue. Capital Metro also extends MetroRail operations, with the last train departing the Downtown Station on July 5 at 2:30 a.m.
Several bus detours will be in effect from 5-11 p.m. July 4. Service will return to its regular schedule July 5. Fare information and other details are available at www.capmetro.org/fares or by calling 512-474-1200.
Downtown road closures
To accommodate the July 4th event at Auditorium Shores and other celebrations downtown, the city will implement road closures and partial road closures:
- According to the city’s road closures map, Riverside Drive will be closed between Lee Barton Street and South First Street beginning at 9 a.m. The road will also close between South First and Barton Springs Road at 8 p.m.
- West Cesar Chavez Street will close between Lavaca Street and MoPac at 5 p.m., but eastbound lanes will remain open between Lavaca and Guadalupe streets.
- On San Antonio Street, lanes will close between West Second Street and West Third Street at 5 p.m.
- Between Lamar Boulevard and West Cesar Chavez, Sandra Muraida Way and B. R. Reynolds Drive will close at 5 p.m.
- Walter Seaholm Drive between West Second and West Third streets will close at 5 p.m.
- MoPac’s northbound and southbound exit ramps will close at 5 p.m. between MoPac and Cesar Chavez.
- South First will close between West Cesar Chavez and Barton Springs Road at 8 p.m.
- Barton Springs Road will close between South Congress Avenue and South First starting at 9 p.m.
- Between South Congress and Barton Springs Road, West Riverside Drive will close at 9 p.m.